Patent Pyro c.1912 revived.

Discussion in 'AB Pyro' started by igh371, Sep 4, 2017.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC06179.JPG

All that needs to be said here is that on Friday I took in yet another sad orphan Pyro that had come looking for sanctuary, and a bit of TLC. The first 2 photos were taken just after 12.00 hours, and the first lighting up was achieved at c.18.00 hours. Luckily viable replacements for the missing items were readily to hand. Overall this is testimony to two things. First, the incredible toughness, effectiveness and resilience of the Pyro stove itself. And secondly, that things aren't always anywhere near as bad as they appear at first sight:lol:

DSC06178.JPG DSC06180.JPG DSC06184.JPG DSC06181.JPG DSC06182.JPG DSC06183.JPG DSC06185.JPG - the stove base left largely as found.

And then the auto-lighting sequence is found to work exactly as it should, no pumping required:

DSC06186.JPG DSC06187.JPG DSC06188.JPG

DSC06189.JPG

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @igh371

Another relic resuscitated by your skilful hands. What burner did you put on the stove?

Tony

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Excellent work Ian.
    The knowledge you have gained and shared on many very old and rare/unusual stoves is invaluable for all CCS members.

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

It feels like Easter seeing your PYRO rise from the dead like that. I love the self-lighting feature of these stoves. PYRO Patent stoves are difficult to find and you've done a real service retrieving this one from the scrap heap. Thanks for the effort and the photos. I really enjoyed seeing them.

Ben

5. igh371

Hi Tony, the burners on these are the basic, small, 0/210 size. The original Pyro burners had a rather idiosyncratic flame spreader fitting (see here), but I only have 3 that still have that, the others, including this one, have ordinary Primus '0' type burners. Optimus 00 burners ought to fit too, but I have discovered that they, especially the more appropriate older age ones, tend to have slacker threads that I fear may end up causing damage to the riser. Ian

@Tony Press

6. janders

janders Subscriber

Beautiful stove, @igh371
    You seem to have an unlimited supply of those "golden oldies" :mrgreen:

7. igh371

DSC06198.JPG

Family gathering. The new recruit front centre (above). All present and correct except one which left some time ago to seek fame and fortune in the wilds of Caithness. Age profile roughly left rear to right. Some obviously more battered than others but with shiny trivets, and photographed from a distance, they don't scrub up too badly at all:lol:

DSC06197.JPG

@Rangie @z1ulike @janders

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  8. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

And I thought these were rare.

Ben

9. janders

janders Subscriber

10. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Ian, you do very nice work :clap:

11. Atazoth Malta

Hi there do you have any for sale pls? I really want to lay my hands on one of these..