Peak 1 / 3024 leaking at control valve

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by DougElick, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DougElick United States

Greetings. First, I'd like to say this site has been a great help over the years and I could have sworn I had a membership here, but I can't remember the user name, so here I am as a new user.

I've had a Peak 1 "lunar lander" stove that has been quite faithful for many years. I've searched this site, but with Coleman's penchant for name changes, I wanted to be sure I understand what I have before tearing it apart; it drips fuel from the control valve stem when operating, but not when off.

This particular model is a 3024, branded "Peak 1", but with out any "Feather" or 4xx references on the sticker. Is it accurate to say this is just a 400B in disguise? Old Coleman parts seems to have everything on Earth related to Coleman stoves except this particular one unless I'm searching wrong.

The valve handle seems to jiggle when it's anywhere other than off or full throttle; I'm guessing the packing is bad. It seems to hold pressure just fine w/o leaking while off and drips liquid fuel around the stem, not blast fuel and air. Does this model have graphite packing or O rings in the valve?

If it just needs new O rings, I'm sure I could find appropriate replacements off of McMaster-Carr. Or, if I can figure out which other makes it shares the entire valve/pickup assembly with, just replace the whole thing if available.

Again, many thanks,

Doug

2. HercL4D2

Its not the o-ring, it has a Schrader valve in the top of the Fuel / Air pickup tube. Been down that road and never could get a Schrader to work no matter how many times I tried to adjust the depth the Schrader in the pickup tube. I ended up just buying a new complete valve assy from OCP and it cured the problem. Pick up a spare generator while your there.

OldColemanParts.com :: Stove Parts :: Valve Assy

3. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Its a 400B, with a plastic retainer for the pump shaft. The valve assembly is the same, just buy the whole thing and replace.

Tron

4. DougElick United States

I saw threads about other leaky 400s here, but I think the Schrader is ok on mine - it holds pressure just fine when off.

However, given the assembly's age, since it can be replaced for $16, might as well replace the entire thing.

Thanks

5. HercL4D2

@DougElick
    I apologize for not reading your post correctly. I just assumed it to be the Schrader at fault for the leak. But you described the valve lever as the leak. Generally that is a graphite packing around that lever and Coleman says to tighten the retaining nut to stop this leak. You may need to replace the graphite packing if snuging the nut does not work. I have read posts where you can dig the graphite out in pieces and reinstall by tamping it around the lever and reinstalling the nut. Probably best to buy a new valve, install it while you tinker with the old valve packing. At least this way you can brew a hot beverage as you fettle the valve.

6. DougElick United States

The valve nut is bottomed out. I've been waiting for a set of SAE wrenches to arrive to work on the stove properly - I'll probably pull out the valve core this evening.

7. Sonny Dryer United States

This is my first post, but I just got one of these 3024's yesterday. It looks like new, but someone had it apart, because they had the generator off, and reattached it without putting the X piece pan holder under it. I'm going to have to remove the generator again to do it. Watching a video about this stove, at least the 400 feather model, there was no packing in the adjustment valve, it was an O ring. Sorry to kind of resurrect an older thread, but I've been trying to lean about these stoves, and this caught my eye.
    Regards Sonny