Peak 1 Apex II 445 in need of shut-off valve O ring

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Datadog42, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Datadog42

New to this forum. Great source of info!

My Peak 1 Apex II 445 leeks at the shut-off valve. There is an O ring there that was not included in the repair kit. Removed the nut that holds the valve in place to find it. One of the pictures shows the valve removed and the tiny O ring with a bit of the red "paint?" flacking off it.

Does anyone know where I can get this O ring? Nothing on the Coleman site. Or, does anyone just happen to know the dimensions? I saw another thread that referred to a nitrile O ring for a gas stove. So I hope that if I can find one I can put this stove back into service.

Thanks

P1120640.JPG P1120641.JPG P1120642.JPG

2. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

just had a look and the valve seal from the MSR pump is the same size and has the soft thin red coating and i forget why, but it fits.
    i shelved my apex because the nrv leaks, these pumps lack the locking nrv of other coleman stoves using a rubbery ball type nrv but much smaller than the MSR ball about half the diameter, i had fuel leaking from the pump if i left the bottle pressurised, could that be the source of your leak? the o ring in your pic looks fairly new, i hope the Maestro will post as he has done tutorials on these pumps but you may need to wait a while cos of the time difference

3. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

i meant to say the old style MSR pump valve seal not the new one

4. Datadog42

Hi Rickybob,

Thanks for your response. Are you saying that I could use an MSR pump O ring on this Coleman shut-off valve? If so, any particular MSR model? Just to clarify, it is not the pump leaking. When pressurized, there is no leak until the shut-off valve is opened. So I think the pump is fine.

5. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

yes, i believe so, i found an o ring the right size in a MSR maintenance kit but it was one for an older stove a gk or x-gk it fitted the coleman valve o.k.
    there were some larger seals coloured blue and i have not the foggiest idea what they are for but i am sure someone here knows, the nrv is another matter i must try and see if the larger MSR ball can be made to fit the coleman pump as i fancy using that stove again

6. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

before you go and buy a MSR maintenance kit, i now understand that the seal was for the old yellow pump not the later ones, i found an unopened MSR kit from back in the day and have tried to scan it, the seal is the smaller one at the end of the poly bag, it is not likely to be in a modern repair kit. i have decided to open this kit because i want the flame spreader ( not visible ) so if you pm me your address i will post the seal off to you, but please bear in mind it is twenty plus years old and msr not coleman, sorry if i have mislead you but i am dissapointed that others more familiar with these things have not responded

Attached Files:

7. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Harbor Freight sells o ring kits for about $12.
    Viton or Nitrile, your choice...

8. Datadog42

Hello RickyBob and bajabum,
    Around here I had difficulty finding a replacement kit for the MSR stoves. One place "might" have one is stock at $28.
    On a trip to Washington state in Bellingham stopped at Hardware Sales. I found the individual O ring 1/8" ID and 1/4" OD. Took that home and tried it out. My stove is operable again! Cost 47 cents. Phew!!!! Sure glad there are till those old-fashion hardware stores. But it took a trip across the border. When I go back through I'll pick up some spares.
    Harbour Freight is not in Canada.

9. gremlin70

I can't keep the pump in the fuel tank. The threads act that they are not catching. This is the second tank and pump form coleman for this stove that had done this to me on a overnighter. I don't like being hungry in the cold. Any fixes? I love the stove.

10. Datadog42

Hi Gremlin,

I personally have never had that problem. I have had the Swiss made Sigg bottle for decades and it has never given any problem.

11. gremlin70

I have been using the bottles that Coleman supplied. Thought that it would be the better fit. I will try the Sigg bottle. Do they all have the same thread, or is one better suited for the Apex II's pump?

12. Datadog42

This is beyond my experience and expertise. I bought the stove and Sigg at the same time and have never used any other. Sigg was the only bottle available there.

13. gremlin70

Oh well, you have given me hope for my first stove.

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Gremlin70, and Datadog,

Welcome to CCS! Dd, glad you got your ApexII up and running again. Well done! I have several of those stoves and have found that the Achille's heal of that one happens to be the o-rings, which are thin, and cheap, and don't seem to last long. Changing to better o-rings solves that problem.

Gremlin70, I've never experienced a problem with all the Coleman Apex bottles I've used, so I'm wondering if your pumps are old, and used/abused by a former owner. IF you bought it used, than that's a good bet. Something to consider, anyway. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who dug out his last NIB Coleman Apex II, today, to check the o-ring size!)

15. gremlin70

I bought the stove, pump, and bottle in one box new from the store. The second one in a "repair" (pump and bottle) strait for Coleman. I question weather the bottle neck expends to much when pumped? It is not a tight fit anyway. The O-ring makes the threads tighten then it seats. Both fit the same.

16. pbgiv

@Doc Mark (or any other knowledgeable person...),
    Suggestions on where could you get an o-ring set for this stove (Coleman exponent apex II model 445a700), or details to put one together? I just pulled the stove out that hasn't been used in 15 or so years (been in a ziplock in storage), and when testing, after a minute or two had a flame-up under the stove, apparently from leakage in the area of the valve assembly, though I could not, and cannot, see any actual leak.

I've just ordered a replacement valve assembly from Coleman (part # 450A5651), but cannot find the "obsolete" Service Parts Kit (part # 450A5611). I'd like to get a list of the replacement o-rings (sizes, types). Know where I could find that, and have any other restoration suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Patrick