Perfektus No.3

Discussion in 'Ernst Hãhnel' started by igh371, Sep 19, 2018.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC07706.JPG

The Perfektus No.3 model appears in all of the 1930s catalogues in the Reference Library, but all shown there have an earlier, more 'winged', style of filler cap. Seemingly unfired, unless factory tested before issue, but the burner and caps appear unblemished. The tank brass has a very thin, almost brittle, feel to it. Thoughts on more precise dating would be appreciated.

DSC07697.JPG DSC07699.JPG DSC07700.JPG
    DSC07704.JPG DSC07705.JPG DSC07703.JPG DSC07701.JPG

@optipri

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Ian. @igh371 what an interesting stove...but what a pity about the quality.

I have an earlier Perfectus No.1 from 1920s/early 1930s and I made a point of reporting the weight and quality of the stove and its beautiful engraving/embossing. The fabricated, rather than stamped, pan ring is also rather neat.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/perfektus-no-1-from-1920s-early-30s.10434/

Looking at your stove it looks later, much more utilitarian and made to a (lower) price. They couldn’t even get the makers stamp on the base of the tank central! Perhaps just pre-WW2, or in the period of austerity following the war.

Apologies for my rudeness about the stove.

Best Regards,
    George.

3. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Not at all George, you're just saying the same as I feel about the quality. Just pre-WW2 does sound plausible to me too. I'm not sure how well the provenance markings would relate to the post-war situation.

@Radler

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, @igh371 , @kerophile, Ian and George,

In actuality, Ian, I have a Perfektus #3 that seems less than yours. Mine looks very similar to yours, including the semi-winged fuel cap. BUT, mine is lacking all the markings that yours has. I do have "Perfektus" engraved on the tank, but cannot see the #3, nor can I see "Made in Germany" on the tank bottom. Neither the fuel cap wings, nor the air release screw tab seem to have any markings, either, and the entire stove, at one time, or another, looks to have a very old lacquer finish applied to it, which has turned rather "greenish/brown". Looks like patina, at first, but the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it was coated at some time in it's distant past. I can weigh my stove, if that might help you. Do you know the weight of yours, Ian? I've not tried to fettle mine, as of yet, so it stands in the long line, waiting for me to get to it. Thanks for sharing yours Ian, and George, thanks for highlighting the info in the Catalog section. Much appreciate, Gentlemen! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc