Permission to post info from forum

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Robert Radcliffe, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom Subscriber

I've been asked to write articles for a retro group on Facebook on the stoves and lamps in my collection. As a teacher by trade I love to share information. Is there any objection to me taking screen shots of some of the old catalogue info on the forum to add depth and interest to the articles? I would of course reference the forum which might bring new members.
    If this is not permissible I fully understand.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

3. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Yes, I think it's best if you send Ross a private message so you can sort it out there.
    Mind you, the catalogues are posted by members in here, so it might even be better to ask those who made the scans in the first place.
    That way you might even get better illustrations with higher resolutions.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Robert

The appropriate way to do what you wish is to first ask Ross (@Spiritburner ).

If you wish to use, in another forum, text, a photo or PDF posted by another Member, you should both ask that Member, and acknowledge the Member and CPL when you do so.

Best regards

Tony

5. Robert Radcliffe

6. Afterburner

Copyrights might even be more complicated...

Who scans photos, catalogs or other material might not own copyrights of that material. Many cases original copyright owner still owns the copyrights to that material.

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Afterburner

In many cases copyright will have expired; but in most countries of the world ”fair use” or “fair dealing” provisions would be relevant where no commercial gain is involved.

Best regards

Tony

8. Robert Radcliffe

Theres certainly no financial gain involved just sharing of information.

9. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome Robert,
    Ross's ultimate answer is what matters. I don't get a vote but re repost catalog content on facebook, i'll offer that I'd say no way.

As fellow subscriber I do thank you for asking.
    FWIW I am of opinion there is a financial impact (not that a cost amount can be assigned to it).

As teacher I presume you have done your homework
    so not to you but an FYI to the topic:

From site rules:
    Any content you post on the site remain your copyright. You give the site the right to display your content & the moderators the right to move your content elsewhere on the site for reference purposes. Content moved will remain assigned to your account. You also give members the right to hot-link your pictures in other threads within the forum to illustrate a discussion.

From homepage:
    Copyright © 2000-2019 Classic Camp Stoves. All rights reserved
    Articles & Images are property & copyright of CCS or original contributor.
    All printed material reproduced with permission where applicable.
    It is the aim of this website to provide & share information
    but please do not take items or articles from this site for publication
    elsewhere without permission.

------------------------

You have open posted your request and readers can refer to this in future.

Your request includes the expectation that you intend to re-distribute the material on facebook.
    For me it's a simple no (of course nothing is "free" and few web topics are "simple").
    FWIW: No would be my suggestion if it were a paper copy used in classroom and not redistributed.

this BECAUSE > You happen to request "old catalogue info"... one of the only areas that subscription is required to view content
    [copying/redistributing content where subscription is not required is different request ]
    Opinions vary re CCS subscription (I strongly support). Opinions aside, the site is generous, making available voluminous, much rare, camp stove related material, to view, w/o subscription. As of today, "instructions", some include parts lists, are available w/o subscription.
    All this at no cost to visitors and members. It is not "free" it is offered at no charge but at significant cost to the site / subscriber base.

thx omc
    PS related: I'd support subscription to view all parts lists, which would require site changes
    (end result: all parts lists in one section. Instructions minus parts lists remain for readers/members).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019