Perpetum

Discussion in 'Hungary' started by ajvuik, Aug 11, 2007.

1. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

Hello all,

first let me introduce myself:

My name is Arjan Vuik and I live in the Netherlands. My father bought a Radius nr 17 (with a silent burner on it) on a flee market and asked me to fix it, becouse I have been a boyscout and I knew a thing or 2 about stoves. While doing this I found this site and also cought the classic camp stove fire ;)

Now I have the next problem:
    I bought a 'perpetum' it is all it has written on it.
    1086634692_2c63726297.jpg

It has a roarer burner on it, but I have been unable to test it due to the next problem: It has several small holes in the tank and when I rock the tank I hear noises from inside the tank which make me suspect that it has rust inside it.

What would be my best course of action? I have noticed that the bottom has been soldered on. I could remove it, but what would then be the best course of action? What is the best way to repair it?

Or should I just take off the burner and go look for another tank?

Any advice would be apreciated.

Arjan.

2. barrabruce

Is the leak if from the "feed tube" and not the tank?

Looks like a colapsable stove.from the photo.

you may be able to put a suitable sized brass/copper tube down it and sleave it out so to speak.

Pre tinned with solder and a little heat should seal it all up again. If you can get away fron the tank riser join be better.

Just one thought.

The blokes in the know be along soon.

Cheers
    Barra

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hello Arjan

Your Perpetum is certainly very interesting. You say that the tank has holes in it and you suspect rust. The photo makes it look like the tank is made of brass. If it is, it can not be rust.

I have not heard of your stove before and as a stove collector I would keep the stove for display purposes. This means that I would clean and polish it. I would not attempt to 'fix' the holes in the tank. The tank in normal use is under pressure and I would not trust any sort of 'fixing'.

If you want a working stove, then your roarer burner will fit a wide variety of stoves, such as a Primus #1. But if you find another stove, the roarer burner will most likely be ok. So leave the burner on the Perpetum and post some photos for us.

4. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Several of my good stoves rattle when shaken due, I think, to bits of solder that fell in when the stove was assembled at the factory.

If there are holes in the tank it's unlikely you will be able to fire up this stove. Finding the holes is a matter of stopping up the nipple, then adding a bit of pressure while holding the fount under water. Air bubbles will leak out wherever they can allowing the holes and leaks to be noted and marked for repair. However, and it a big however, weak places that are on the verge of leaking won't show until later, most likely when they can do the most damage.

Gerry

5. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

I have checked, but the tank is not brass/copper. It is just an iron tank with a brass like coating on it.

Here are some more pictures!

1092135142_53233db0b6.jpg

This is a picture from it's side, here you can see one of the holes. On the foto I made last night the pressure release pin covered up the hole.

1092134824_1e9762506f.jpg

Here is a close up from one of the holes, this is infact the biggest one. But it is a rust hole.

1091274721_de45ae67ab.jpg

Here is one of the pan support dish with the name Perpetum on it, if you look carefully, you can see it also says perpetum on the burner head. And the hole also shows :p

But fortunatly this isn't the only stove I have, I managed to get 3 more stoves:

I also have a Radius No 17:

1091273785_b88b380708.jpg

My dad has the same one, but with a silent burner. As you can see this one is in very good condition with the burner ring and windshield in place. It even has some kind of plate, it was mounted on the base of the burner. My guess is that it is used for preheating with solid fuel, but I don't know for sure. The burner it self burns good, but for some reason looses it's pressure after about 2-3 minutes. I am going to take it appart and see if any of the washers are damaged, although I don't see any excess parrafin anywhere when I light it.

Next one is an Anho No. 145:

1091274421_57d3ba882a.jpg

This one is in perfekt working condition I actualy made some coffee (Boiling some water) and baked some eggs on it this morning just for the fun of it. I do have a confession to make though, when I bought it, it didn't have the burner ring and the wind shield on it. I took those from the defunct Perpetum.

And as last I also have an Aetna: (No number is present on the burner):

1092135800_05d92f54c5.jpg

This is the only silent burner I have (yet).The burner is in a somewhat functional condition, but I haven't had it up to full pressure yet, becouse the pressure valve in the tank is damaged. If I pressurise the tank it leaks parrafin into the pump. The funny thing about this burner is that I can completly remove the pump from the tank.

1092345484_89b2283930.jpg

which gives me full access to the valve :D

Well these are my 4 stoves, I do however have some bids on the Dutch version of E-bay which also include some old fashion, high pressure petroleum lamps (Tilley's)

6. Petromax828

Congratulations to your stoves!
    Even if a kerosene stove doesn't need a very high pressure to get the vapourized fuel out trough the nipple, I think it would be somewhat dangerous to try and seal it up. This because it still might start to leak out fuel on the surface where you are running the stove, and then you just might get it on your clothes and all of a sudden you are on fire. Not that kerosene is very easy to get burning, but on textiles it ignites easily. I would suggest that you keep it as a showpiece, or if you find another one, to use for spareparts.

Anders

7. barrabruce

Sorry about that. Yeah I'd keep the steel one as a looker only.

The others are quite nice!!!!
    Love that silent burner

barra

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Ajvuik,

You have some very nice stoves, there, and the beginnings of a wonderful collection of interesting specimens! Cool that your Dad is interested, too. Stove collecting can become a "family affair", which adds to the fun.

I have to agree with Anders and Bruce, it's best to retire your one stove with the hole in it, especially as it has a steel font. You never know what's happening on the inside of these old steel tanks, and if it's been compromised, as shown by the hole in it, many more "holes" are just waiting to happen!! From a safety standpoint, I would never trust such a stove, even if I could seal up the hole that already apparent.

As for your Radius 17 that loses pressure after 2-3 minutes, I'll bet that either the fuel cap gasket is hard, or the NRV gasket/plug is hard, or both. If it were mine, I'd change out both gaskets, and replace them with new ones made of Nitrile rubber. I'd be willing to bet that your Radius will be working like new after you've finished with that. Check the lead washer that's tucked into the recess where the burner attaches to the font. If yours is mashed flat, worn, or cracked, it could be leaking pressure there, too.

Again, you are off to a fine start, and welcome to CCS!! Thanks for the photos and you reports! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

I think I have found the solution to my problem with the Radius 17 (I kinda filled it the coleman way). I think I had to much paraffin in it... :oops: I took some out and tested it again, it runs perfect now.

Guess ill never make that mistake again :oops:

When it is dark I'll make some action foto's ;)

-Edit-

As promised some 'action' pictures.

1095575841_8d376ddc4b.jpg

1095578013_454fa0766c.jpg

1096439246_e1eecfc909.jpg

I think I have to clean the Ohna because it's flame isn't as it should be...

10. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

Update:

I finaly have my Aetna running. It's not perfekt yet, it still loses it's pressure very quickly, but it's a start.

1152116515_5325d89645.jpg

1152962654_e9f95db14a.jpg

But I am going to replace the original pressure valve with a pressure valve from an Optimus NOVA stove.(A local shop had the valve on discount).
    I'm going to do this by taking off the original valve(wich is corroded beyond repair). I will do this by drilling a hole in the back of the pump cylinder(check photo above), thread it and then put the new pressure valve into it. This will most likely fix my pressure problem.

And when that's done, I will have 3 working stoves. :D

greets Arjan.

11. barrabruce

:lol: Beatifull falme on the silent.
    Sounds like the fix to me on the nrv(non return valve)
    Should be very happy with that.

Barra

12. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

Ehm yeah that's the one I mean :D in dutch we call it a pressure valve (You have to aply pressure from 1 side to open it ;) )

13. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

If you are still losing pressure, immerse it in water.
    Pump it up a little, put your thumb over the nipple (jet) and submerge it in water... The bubbles will show where the leak is ! ;)

14. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

If the NRV thing doesn't work I'll try that, thanks for the tip.

-edit-

Look what I'm bidding on :shock: :
    http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php...e/108357453-petroleum-gaskoker.html?102646959

It's Dutch, but scroll down to get bigger pictures.
    It's a Primus, don't now the number but it looks brand new and never used. MY current bid is ?25,- :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015