Phoebus 30 from 1930s

Discussion in 'Phoebus' started by ROBBO55, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G’day, Here is my Phoebus 30. The stove was manufactured pre 1945.

1.JPG

The travel cap is not original. It was missing and I had to manufacture a replacement.
    The thread is ¼ inch BSB. It is shown in the parked position for reference only.

2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG

As found.

14.JPG

The tin is original and the graphics are well worn. At this stage I have not cleaned the tin but am hoping that when I remove the rust the graphics will be clearer.

15.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG 18.JPG

With new seals and a new nipple fitted (0.32 mm jet, about 0.013”)

19.JPG 20.JPG

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G’day @Radler , in this post you provided details of the trademark and using the trademark to narrow down the manufacture date. https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/phoebus-17.33723/#post-344758

Rosenthal's logo until 1945 was a lighthouse. The tower stands on a solid rock (=reliability). It has large windows to protect a sophisticated system of mirrors and Fresnel lenses which shapes the light to a beam parallel to the water surface. Even the direction of the light is symbolized by pointed rays.

Logo was maintained during the German phase. Only the serifs in MJR almost disappeared.

I believe the stove is dated 1939 – 1945, would you agree?

4.JPG

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Nice stove, @ROBBO55. And very good work on the travel cap!

Cheers

Tony

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @ROBBO55 You have made a great job of restoring your Phoebus No.30 stove kit. It is good that you have the skills to replace the reserve cap, which with its attachemnt to one of the feet, is a unique feature of this model.

The stove tin has seen better days, but looks similar to the one shown in this thread. What do you think?

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/phoebus-no-30-1930s.5307/

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Tony Press
    Thanks Tony, working out the thread for the travel cap was the hard part.
    It is a nice stove and I'll use it next week when traveling to the meeting at Anthony's. :lol:

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@kerophile
    Thanks George, I'm happy with the way the stove cleaned up. :lol: . With access to a lathe and the correct die making the reserve cap wasn't that difficult. But I do need to get a straight cut knurling tool to be more authentic.

I had a look at your stove and tin and yes the two stoves and tins are similar. Your tin is in much better condition though. I also found the tin in the 1934 reference catalogue. It's a pity there aren't any catalogues from later in the 1930's or 1940's.
    So my stove might be older than I thought. :-k

7. kerophile

Hi @ROBBO55 I would have listed you stove as 1930s as it appears to be near identical to my model and I had looked at some Phoebus catalogues when estimating my date range.

From 1939 Austria, then part of Germany, was at War, and any stoves would be for Military contracts rather than civilian walking and touring.
    All of their manufacturing efforts would be for War work

There would be no Exports overseas since the Axis countries were comprehensively blockaded from 1939 to 1945.

Post-war Austria was divided into separate zones, each controlled by either Russia, USA, France, or the UK.

I am unsure which Zone the Phoebus factory was in but when some post-War manufacturing was resumed, many of their previously large range of stoves and lamps was dropped and I believe that the No.30 was also discontinued.

So 1930s might be a safe bet.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@kerophile
    Thanks again George. 1930's it is. :thumbup:
    I believe the Phoebus factory was in the Russian sector.

9. kerophile

Hi @ROBBO55 According to the Wikipaedia entry, Austria did not acquire post WW2 independence until 1955. I guess the ressurection of Phoebus stove production (for Western Markets) dates from 1955.

Phoebus made stoves for NATO members and I can’t see them buying stoves, or anything else from the Russian sector!

The classic file “The Third Man” was set in the Allied Occupation period of Vienna’s history.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. Radler Switzerland

@kerophile
    Phoebus production was maintained during war and went on during Russian occupation. But brass was no longer available after 1939 for brass stoves until the end of the war. The stove No. 30 mentioned in this thread was made before 1938. Phoebus stoves No. 725 and 625 were produced for civil use under Russian occupation until 1955 and after this date without Russian supervision.

Radler

11. kerophile

Hi @Radler Thank you for this additional information about Phoebus production.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Radler ,
    Good to hear from you. Thanks for confirming the period of manufacture for my Phoebus 30. :thumbup:

13. DaveC

DaveC Subscriber

Hi Robbo55, I have just bought a Phoebus 30 which I think/thought dates from the 1950s. The logo on mine is the same as yours but with the exception that the MJR initials have lost their serifs. Perhaps you would cast your eye over my stove (in the gallery) and let me know what you think. It would be nice to hear from Radler also.
    Regards DaveC

14. kerophile

15. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

@Radler
    I have one Phoebus No.5 and a No.30 which were "Made in Germany".
    Always I thought they have been produced sometime between 1938 (Annexation of Austria to Garmany) and the end of the war. But as you say, I can locate the production time of Phoebus stoves stamped with "Made in Germany" from 1938 to 1939?

Ciao, Bastian

16. Radler Switzerland

@Sternenlicht
    Phoebus made stoves during the whole time of war. But after 1939 brass had to be replaced by steel if possible. The brass tank could be replaced by one made of steel, as seen on Phoebus No.1F, (Codename FERRO) produced many decades before. So it is important to differentiate if we are talking about brass stoves or others. Alcohol stoves like the Phoebus No. 27 had a Bakelite tank instead of brass during the war-economy.

Regards Radler

17. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

@Radler
    Thanks for your informative reply. I am actually talking about brass stoves.

PhoebusNo30_416.jpg PhoebusNo30_410.jpg PhoebusNo30_411.jpg PhoebusNo30_412.jpg PhoebusNo30_413.jpg PhoebusNo30_414.jpg PhoebusNo30_415.jpg

Ciao, Bastian

18. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Sternenlicht

G'day Bastian, congratulations those are nice stoves. :thumbup:

Do you have the tin for the Phoebus 30?

It would be great to see them posted separately in their own thread in the reference gallery as it makes finding the examples easier.
    Also if you do have any catalogues or other documentation it would be good to see it.
    Thanks

19. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Thank you!!
    I have the tin, but it is in a very bad shape. I will post it in the reference gallery.

Ciao Bastian

20. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber