Phoebus 30

Discussion in 'Phoebus' started by Retro Camper, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

My first antique shop find; in Aldeburgh, Suffolk - a Phoebus 30. I'm usually an Optimus 111 man but was won over by the completeness of this stove and the fact it was £15; it comes complete with reserve tank cap, spirit can and prickers. The pump leather is a bit worn but would probably be OK after a soaking in oil, however I do plan to replace it as I do with all the washers. The tin appears to have been painted green at some time in the past; no markings are visible. I will post some more photos once cleaned up and working.

1398029275-IMG_9217_opt.jpg

1398029287-IMG_9215_opt.jpg

1398029299-IMG_9218_opt.jpg

1398029310-IMG_9219_opt.jpg

1398029334-IMG_9220_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Great find , well done for finding something cheap in that neck of the woods :D :thumbup: when the London set are in for the weekend a pint costs a fiver :doh:

Stu :D :thumbup:

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Nice stove and a great find.
    £15 from an antique shop is really good - they normally want a fortune!

4. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I have now had the chance to do some fettling. Accessories-wise only one of the prickers is intact and the meths bottle sadly leaks. Stove-wise the NRV seemed to work fine but I have changed the pip and the lead washer anyway. All the other washers were replaced. Not surprisingly, but for the information of others, it appeared the filler cap and reserve tank lid washers had asbestos in them. For the reserve cap I used the Barthel Juwel 33 WWII Milspec filler cap washer from The Fettle Box. The pump leather will have been OK but I changed it anyway and, even well soaked in oil, the new leather doesn't feel very snug but does do the job. There is a problem though; at some time the solder on one of the leg supports has broken away from the tank. This makes the stove a little bit lop sided but has also lead to the tiniest of holes in the seam of the tank. It doesn't drip when unlit but paraffin does drip out slowly when the stove is running. I had a go at soldering it this week but have not tested it yet. I am not good at soldering so not expecting success, anyway I will post a further report and pictures once I know.

5. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

The tank is still leaking but less than before. I will give it another solder.