Phoebus 625 Clone - Phoenix Precise

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by RonPH, Jul 1, 2009.

1. RonPH

This baby just arrived in the mail so I just had to take some pictures. I will scan the instruction manual and post it later. First impression, well, its made in Taiwan, the brass finishing is rough so you might get a cut or nick if you are not careful, the tank is made of metal (magnet stuck to it). I will try to fire it up tomorrow. New addition to my stove collection.

Ron

1246474902-Pic001.jpg 1246474909-Pic002.jpg 1246474919-Pic003.jpg 1246474926-Pic004.jpg 1246474933-Pic005.jpg 1246474942-Pic006.jpg 1246474959-Pic007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. BernieDawg Banned

Hi Ron
    Nice-looking Phoebus clone! :D

Do you plan to burn it? I'm very interested to see it run as I note that the outer cap has very few holes when compared to the Phoebus versions. :-k Should make for an interesting flame pattern I'm thinkin'.

Cheers,
    Gary

3. Lance

Lance Subscriber

The holse appear to be bigger on this clone so i'm thinking they will burn quite well.

Loverly stove mate i think i'll look for one

lance

4. RonPH

Hey Gary,

Was planning on lighting it tonight but it was kinda late 1200 midnight. I might do it tomorrow. Will take some pictures of the stove in action. I will post it as soon as I can.

RON

5. brassnipplekey

Surely should be in Taiwan stove section .. ??
    Nick

6. RonPH

Hey Gary,

Here are pictures of the Precise Phoenix in action. Seems it works really well. Priming was short and well its quiet! The other picture is my Coleman MultiFuel Stove which I decided to test drive before placing it in my Jeep for emergencies. Nice BLUE FLAMES everywhere.

RON

1246575930-FLAME001.jpg 1246575938-FLAME002.jpg 1246575954-FLAME003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  7. RonPH

Nick,

I guess its a US brand and of course made in Taiwan like most of the products you see on the shelves nowadays. Hey, it works fine albeit the tank is I would think sheet metal instead of brass. Should work for a couple of years to come so long as you take care that rust does not start on the fount.

RON

8. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

It's a USA brand so it's in the right place. The Optimus 123R is now made in the far east but we'll keep it under Sweden! ;)

9. RonPH

Hey Ross,

Thanks again for rearranging the pics. Still learning the how-to's on uploading to this site.

Ron

10. BernieDawg Banned

Thanks for the pics, Ron! The flame looks great.

The Coleman looks nice, too. Would you say the Phoenix is quieter or louder than the Coleman in operation?

Those are nice stoves. Have fun with them. :D

Cheers,
    Gary

11. Spiritburner

No problem - if you haven't seen it already this tutorial may help. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Hello,
    I have the Russian clones of this stove. Even though the tanks are made of steel if you keep them free of rust they will last a long time. They are good burners and I use mine to heat water for cleanup at the meets.

Chuck

13. RonPH

Hey Gary,

Actually both are pretty quiet. If you hear something from them, you probably singed your sideburns :lol: The Precise Phoenix really does not have a high/low adjustment, seem like its just to adjust the burner to get a blue flame instead of the yellow. While the Coleman does have a high and simmer and still get the blue flame. Love them both, along with my other collections but these two babies are tag-alongs always on my vehicles for emergency.

Ron

14. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Ron,

Nice stove! Looks as good as the original.

Something that I've done on my Phoebus 625 stove that had pristine paintwork was add a spirit cup. Don't know why Phoebus never did this (a cost saving too far?), but at least one of the Russian clones have improved the design by doing so. A normal Primus No1/No5 type stove spirit cup fits fine and there's no problem with still using the windshield - you'll just need to add an additional heatproof washer. The paintwork on the tank of my my 625 is still pristine!

Just to be pedantic on the placement of this - shouldn't it be in the "Other Brands" section rather than at the top level of the American reference gallery?

Cheers, Graham.

15. Spiritburner

Yep - it shouldn't have been possible to put it where it was but that was an error on my set up. Sorted & moved. The Japanese made stove from a Canadian distributor in the same section has also been moved out of 'America'! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. BernieDawg Banned

Thanks again, Ron for the info on the burn quality/sound of the stoves. If my questions seemed odd, please know that I have some outer cap fettles in mind. Fewer big holes is definitely easier than lots of little holes! :lol:
    Cheers,
    Gary

17. RonPH

Update on the Coleman Exponent - storage problem. After I cooled down my MF Coleman, opened the tank cap to let out the pressure, turned the valve control knob closed and placed it in a softcase which just the right fit. Then I put it at the back of my Jeep ready for camping. The weather was warm and the vehicle sat in the sun for quite some time. When I got in, I smelled fuel (lucky I did not light a cigarette inside the vehicle - I dare not say what would have happened). I opened the softcase and on the priming collar was fuel which leaked out from the brass tube. Seems the control knob although I closed it well still leaked fuel pressumably from the pressure build up in the tank and pushed up fuel. I emailed Coleman already since I can no longer return the stove (30days over) for a remedy unless any of you guys have encountered this problem. Stopped by an army surplus store and picked up a hard case for my Coleman Lantern and found they had 3 aluminum coleman tins which fit the Exponent Pefectly. Bought 1 and placed the stove into it so my vehicle would not smell like fuel. Any of you guys interested in the coleman tin, just let me know as there are two of them left. Dunno if it would fit the smaller primus stove for storage. Comes by the way with a pot holder as the tin (case) doubles as a square pot. Cost was about $10 (new). Pictures to follow. No time - going to work (on the 4th of July

Ron :( :(

18. RonPH

Just an update. Even with the Exponent inside the tin box I bought, the fuel still leaked and flooded the bottom of the pan hence the rubber that holds the cap expanded and now useless. Anyway I mentioned about the coleman tin I got that fits the stove perfectly. The inside pot measures 4 & 7/8 inches and when cover is over the pot is just about 5 & 1/2 inches. Am inclined to set aside the stove until I get a response from Coleman (if they ever respond with a solution). The softcase I acquired from Goodwill for like $1

Ron