Phoebus 625

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by fimbulvetr, Sep 16, 2021.

1. fimbulvetr Canada

C76F6C4B-C84C-44B7-A7D1-46A8C6815E7F.jpeg 25946703-1730-4373-8F9D-C12D1A237B57.jpeg 028EF988-642F-43F3-9554-D3E88D1E25A0.jpeg C76F6C4B-C84C-44B7-A7D1-46A8C6815E7F.jpeg 25946703-1730-4373-8F9D-C12D1A237B57.jpeg 028EF988-642F-43F3-9554-D3E88D1E25A0.jpeg Today I got a Phoebus 625. This will be the first time I try restoring an old stove like this, so it will be a learning experience. Except for missing a pump leather and the nut to hold it on with, it looks intact (well, unless you count the “Made in Canada” Coleman control knob instead of the original). I have a rebuild kit for it on order from the Fettle Box, so hopefully I can get it up and running! I’ve never used this type of stove before... I usually use a couple Colemans (a 4M two burner and a 440 single burner) that I’ve had for decades for camping, but finding this website inspired me to try something new.

2. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

You will be surprised how beautiful you can make it and how well it will operate. Get a bit of info on lighting and operating the burner.

Good luck!

3. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I used one for a winter as a snow melter, they really crank out BTU's. And quiet, unlike their sibling the 725.

Looking forward to more pictures!

Methinks the green/yellow box is the older one, mine has a round, red/white can.

4. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Its a great and powerfull stove with a good simmer. Beware, that pending on the jet and needle mounted, these can run on either Kero or Coleman Fuel.

its a good idea to give the safety valve on the fount a safety check (rubber should be soft - not rock hard)

(I mounted a preheat spirit cup from a three-legged brassie Stove. Preserves the paint on the fount - in case you will go for a repaint).
    Good luck
    (Being a Dane - I like your nick ;-))

5. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Phoebus 625s we’re used for Himalayan mountaineering in the 1960s. They really do crank out the heat.

Mine is also in the red and white round can, and I agree with @Majicwrench in believing that your can is an older one.

Nice find! I think you’ll enjoy it.

….Arch

6. fimbulvetr Canada

Yep, I will be replacing all the rubber bits, including the safety valve, as they are definitely rock hard and brittle.

The very mildewey instructions (I don't think those are salvageable, they really smell awful) and the labels on the stove say gasoline-only, and the somewhat-mangled spare jet is stamped with a G and the one currently mounted on it looks to be the same size. So I am hoping it will run Coleman Fuel.

7. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Welcome to CCS
    Control knob??? Nice idea. What Coleman stove model the knob come from?

8. fimbulvetr Canada

No idea, it just came in the box with the stove. I think the control rod is original and the previous owner just replaced the knob.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, @fimbulvetr ,

Welcome to CCS!! Your 625 is definitely older than the ones that came in the red can. I have quite a few of those wonderful stoves, and even bought a few more, so that I could use their excellent silent burners on other projects! The other Gentlemen from this forum have pretty much covered all the bases, and I agree with them all! In deep cold, up high, and in high winds, these great stove will benefit from an additional windscreen partially wrapped around it, but not too close. The only quibble I have, which is not that big a deal, is that the pump stroke is shorter than most other stoves I have with an internal pump. But, all things considered, the Phoebus 625 is a very well designed and very powerful stove, which can simmer very, very nicely! Given care, and proper maintenance, it should last your lifetime. Hearty congrats on scoring this wonderful, and very capable Austrian stove! Have fun fettling it back to life, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Here is the knob of mine with the same box and the middle is missing. With yours I could make a stickers for the middle and switches on mine!!!!!!!!!!. Lol.
    I have seen yours somewhere but where ????
    IMG_20210606_164659.jpg

11. fimbulvetr Canada

I should have looked more closely to the text on the knob... “After mantle burns bright”! I guess I must have a Coleman Lantern!

12. Jesse

My 625 is my favorite stove to use. It’s super well made and fairly easy to work on.

13. fimbulvetr Canada

The rebuild kit for my 625 arrived today from the Fettlebox, so hopefully I have it up and running soon. Is there a better method of removing the old, petrified rubber seal around the pump housing other than painstakingly digging it out bit-by-bit? It is really stuck in there.

14. Jesse

I use a cheap set of picks to dig out old seals. Check for the orange 4 piece set on Amazon that is under $10 US. Hard enough to dig rubber but blunts on nearly any metal surface. They’re junk for what they’re intended to be, but perfect for this in my experience. I’ve had no luck with anything else.

15. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Applying heat to apparently rock-hard “rubber” often helps. The rubber softens and becomes much easier to extract with a pick or similar.
    A hot air gun or direct heat from a gas flame both work for me

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

16. fimbulvetr Canada

Thanks! I have some picks, so I’ll try a bit of heat then.

17. fimbulvetr Canada

F1C85BE0-F707-4C4F-83A6-118CFB664163.jpeg

My first attempt at lighting it up after replacing the seals and pips. Primed, pumped up, but just lots of yellow flame and that was it. I checked it before hand, and it holds pressure, but it just wouldn’t settle down and burn nicely.

18. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @fimbulvetr

Give this a try:

After you have pressurised the tank, the correct way to light and increase power of a silent stove is:

1. Pre-heat the burner.

2. Allow the pre-heat flame to totally extinguish.

3. Open the fuel valve carefully, but not fully.

4. You should get clouds of white paraffin vapour/air mixture exit the many holes in the outer cap.

5. Only now should you light this mixture with a match or flame applied above the outer cap.

6. After 2-3 minutes of successful burn, the burner will have heated more, and you can increase pressure gradually until full power is achieved.

Apologies if you already know all this...

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

19. fimbulvetr Canada

Thanks! I’ve never lit one of these before. My experience is only with old Coleman stoves.

20. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

just to add something....preheat it a bunch, don't be shy with the alk.