Picked up a used free Kenyon Homestrand stove - Not sure of ID or where to begin...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Blacktales, May 10, 2021.

1. Blacktales

Hi ! First post here, I finally registered after lurking for a while !

I would like to try my hand at restoring a marine stove I picked up for free on Kijiji but I am not sure where to even begin :
    - While it was advertised as a alcohol stove, the tank smelled like naphta and when drained the liquid was yellow-ish.
    - The model label is no longer there but scouring the web I tentatively identified this model as a Kenyon Homestrand 206 BUT it appears another similar model using kerosone was also sold, the 206K (I have manuals for both series but struggle to determine what model mine is so far...) The label on the underside says alcohol stove BUT the plates over the valve adjustment wheels do not mention alcohol at all (which I've seen on other pictures of similar stoves...)

I'd like to restore this to a usable condition as long as it does not require expensive replacement parts (The top parts of the burners are there, I removed them for the pictures).

Since it appears the wrong fuel was used, I would like to flush / clean / restore this stove as much as a I can but I expect that would take a full disassembly. Moreover, the underside of one burner in particular shows heavy traces of some green 'putty' I can't identify or guess the reason for its presence (leak or haphazard attempt at plugging a leak :) ).

Going at it logically, I would unscrew all connections between parts, clean them up as much as I can and reassemble but I am not sure if some connections should be left alone (those potentially using graphite as a sealing material for example) or if doing so could damage internal parts.

So for the first steps of the restoration process, I would appreciate if someone could tell me or help me figure out if this is a alcohol or kerosene burner to begin with. And I would appreciate if someone could guide me on which connections between parts can be safely undone (I added number to the pictures for easy reference). Of course, if someone spots a fatal flaw with this stove that makes this project doomed, I would certainly love to be told :)

1.JPEG 2.JPEG 3.JPEG 4.JPEG 5.JPEG 6.JPEG 7.JPEG 8.JPEG 9.JPEG 10.JPEG

Thanks !

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Blacktales
    Welcome!

That’s a kerosene burner you’ve pictured there. Mine was the alcohol-fuelled type.

In respect of disassembly, where you see a nut capable of being unscrewed, go ahead! Reducing it to individual components facilitates cleaning/servicing and identification of anything to put right - hard seals, that sort of thing.

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Looks like with proper jets, you could use any fuel based on the type of burner. I would first see what the green stuff is.
    Duane

4. Lennart F Sweden

It's made for kerosene but should work with white gas as is and could be adapted for alcohol with similar parts and procedure as Optimus 111T, similar burner as Optimus 55/155, tank and pump parts seem to be more or less Optimus too.

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I'm interested in how you good folks have determined it is for Kero, when it is labeled alcohol?? Please explain.

I have a Homestrand that was fuel of RUG when I got it, it works a treat on alcohol, which I am confident it was made for, but I don't recall at the moment how I came to that conclusion.

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

@Majicwrench, the burner has four tubes as its makeup. When I was trying to obtain one to fit my Svea 1915 burners to, I had to ask sellers for a pic or how many tubes it had.
    Duane

7. Lennart F Sweden

It may have been delivered for alcohol - either with air restrictors in the present burners or with the quite different "alcohol only" burners.
    Air restrictors with small holes are used with multifuel/kerosene/gasoline jets for alcohol with less power - large holes for alcohol jets with full power.

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, @kerophile.

You beat me to it.

Cheers

Tony