Pigeon Ignus ... a SEB ... and a free arm!

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Excessieve, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Excessieve

It's been a long while since I posted , though I have popped in (logged and guest) every so often.

I hope everyone's kept reasonably well.

It's excellent to see the good stuff is still going.

Anyways, onto business, I've managed to snag myself a Pigeon Ignus ... and from the good stuff and people, here on CCS, I think that it's pretty much complete ~ no instructions on the end door flap ... but I guess that could have been there on some and not others? (Flame control key and pot stand are in place and seem to be original, or at least not after market?).

What I need help with is replacing seals and such ~ there's plenty of bounce in the spring but would it make sense to also replace the NRV pip? I'll be purchasing through The Fettle Box BUT what do I need to ask Ross for? Do other stove' seals fit it or do I need to provide info on materials and dimensions?

I know that I need to replace at least the tank filler seal. It definitively perished and came out in pieces!

[Do I have bragging rights??? I managed to get a canvas covered picnic case, with some pots, dishes and bits, a SEB alcohol stove (similar to an Atomic) and the Pigeon Ignus for ...

... £20 ... yes, twenty ... all in ... hence the 'free arm', it being ripped from its socket and all that!

My sincere apologies to all of those proper collectors out there who've longed and drooled for their eternities ... I know the joyful pain of long searches and hearing of bargains ... I'm now going to look at Kubex Camp Ovens ... I'd been searching for a folding Coleman oven ... having opted against buying one, new and in a sale, years back {IDIOT} ... and I guess non-folding means less holes means less heat wasted and so gets better fuel economy ... ???]

I'll bung some pics up in the appropriate place(s), at some point.

Thanks for reading through the blather.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@Excessieve ,

Great find! It oft times takes great patience and perseverance to find great stoves at armed robbery prices. But, you've managed to prove that, once again, sticking to it, and lots of patience is the key to success! I look forward to seeing your photos! Roarer burner, or silent? Again, congrats, and well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Excessieve

I must admit to not searching at all for the Ignus, though I've long been aware of them, I literally stumbled upon it and because of CCS, knew what I was looking at ... hence some small feeling of guilt that I'd found one. [No, not enough to pass it on to someone far more worthy]

It's a silent and I believe, a later build with little use*. (I think it has a self cleaning needle and that someone tried to use a pricking tool on the jet ... * breaking the wire off the hand pricking tool and blocking the jet ☹ )

4. BigScott

BigScott Subscriber

I have just picked up an Optimus folding oven. It looks like it could have been made by Coleman but without the thermometer.

5. Excessieve

The things I* passed up because they were so plentiful and/or easily obtained ...

* I suspect that I may not be alone on this ... and that 'I' should have been 'we'

6. itchy

Nice find.

Scan down the fettling forum a bit and you'll see a thread on dissolving steel wires and such stuck in brass. Might be worth a try if you have not already found a fix.

7. Excessieve

I had shifted it but thanks for the heads up, very much appreciated.

8. blabast88

blabast88 France Subscriber

Hi @Excessieve ,

Any pictures of your Ignus?

Bastien