Plain Jane

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by BradB, Jan 30, 2017.

1. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Here are my plain Jane beauties I have acquired recently. The Coleman 413G (1970) I found last summer with box, looked like only a test firing before I laid hands on it. Of course it has cooked many meals cooking for seven on our hardshell camper trips. The Coleman 425E (1979) I just found, again looking like maybe only a single test firing in its life. It came with the mixing tube bent at about 15° and the generator could not insert and still have the tabs on the tank hook into the slots on the body. Nervously, I bent it straight, scared I would crack the U shaped mixing tube. But it seems to be behaving properly.

The Coleman 502 (1971) was the typical rusty and dirty mess, but it did work upon testing. I immediately tore it down, cleaned, and reassembled. It works great, a solid performer. All three stoves may not be the glamorous equal of their European cousins, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the solid build and reliable performance of all three Plain Janes.

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

2. Kero-Scene

Very nice - they are in great condition.

3. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Can't think of a better set of stoves for basic camping. Only thing missing is a 426 3-burner. I suspect you'll find the 425 doesn't get used much. The bit of extra room provided by the 413 makes it much easier to use, especially if cooking for more than two. And when you need just one burner the 502 will come out. Nothing wrong with the 425, I just find the 413 gives that little extra room for a bigger pot or fry pan.

Great trio, they'll last you for life.

4. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Plain Janes? Many rate the 413 as Coleman's best 2 burner and the 502 as their best one burner. Nice looking examples of all three models.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice set.
    I don't use the 425 any longer, after finding a 413. I add the Dieselkocher as the single burner.

6. BradB

On my small camper storage is limited, so the 413/425 combination fits perfectly. I always bring a single burner as well so I have 5 burners to cook for the crew. My Lodge griddle fits on the 425 so it all works.

7. cottage hill bill

Still need a 426. Find the room. The Preway 3-burners are as good if not better than the 426 and slightly narrower. If you're cooking for a group the 3-burners add a whole new dimension to usability. Best of luck.

8. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

Nice stoves all. I have passed on the three burner before,in a moment of conservativeness. I figured the 413 and 425 = a four burner.
    Ivan

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Exactamundo.

10. cottage hill bill

Ivan, the three burners are different but I have to admit I'm partial to them. I've got 4 or 5 of them. I alternate between a 426 and a Preway 3 burner. For a long time my go to camping stove was an Ozark Chef 4-burner. There is just something I really like about the extra work space the big stoves provide.

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Evening, All,

For us, we use the 426 3-burners the most, and a close second is one of our 413 stoves. We do have several 425 stoves, including the first version, and think they are wonderful little stoves, and well worth owning and using. However, we tend to use the larger stoves, with larger pots, when cooking for a group, and for ovens when it's just SB and me. The 425 is just too small for that sort of use. Our very first two-burner stove was a 425, and we will always keep a few around. Just don't use them as much as the 426, and 413. By the way, excellent score, BradB!! Well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. IvanN

I expect the next time I come across a three burner I won't pass on it so easily.
    My wife tricked me last time, she tried to talk me into it. I didn't know how to answer.it really through me for a loop!:lol:
    Ivan

13. monkeyboy

the 413 is the best two burner stove Coleman made. a 426 is in your future i predict it. the 502 is a great little stove to cook on. one of the easiest too.

14. monkeyboy

i rescued a rusty crusty beat up 425 from the local 'metal dump'. i keep it by the back door so i can cook on it when the mood strikes me. i wouldn't take a hundred bucks for it. nothing better in my estimation than a stove you have a connection with. beauty is in the eye.....
    i treasure my 413, funny it sits in the shop.lol

15. IvanN

Power went out here last night and is still out(9:15 am now) so I got to bring in my big stove a 413c image.jpg works as good as ever. Coffee and breakfast in no time.

Ivan

16. IvanN

I am sure if I had a 426 I would be using it today.
    lesson learned- don't pass on a stove (last 416 I saw was $5). I had several suitcases, kept just 1 each 413 and 425. So a 426 is justified. Brad, take heed, add a 426 to your set also. If you find one as clean as your other Colemans you will be sitting pretty. Not that I am trying to tempt you to get more stoves--:content:

17. snwcmpr

I had a 413G, got a 413E, sold the 413G.
    If you have seen the Heinze Geniol Dieselkocher at work, then you know why some of us love that stove as the 3rd (or 1st) burner in a 3 burner setup.
    @Tony Press

P.S. Not saying anything bad about the 426, it is a 413 with another burner really.

18. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Aaah yes, @snwcmpr. My favourite three burner is two Heinze Geniols and one Optimus 111. :lol:

Cheers

Tony

19. snwcmpr

@Tony Press
    I guess that means I have to light my other, unfired, dieselkocher. :)

20. BradB

What is the spacing of the burners on a 426? Is it like a 3 burner 425 or 413? Also, what is the overall length of the 426?