Playing with the Optimus 81

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Majicwrench, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Picked this one up last summer from a seller in China! If I recall, it was advertised as "New, other" but it was NOT new, had dents and other signs of use, and the gentleman refunded a good hunk of the price.
    Used it once last summer, and noticed a puddle of fuel after flling it, but never investigated, till last night..
    IMG_0561[1].JPG The Saf-t fill device, despite the o-ring looking great, fuel seems to leak past. It seems to push securely into place, but from underneath you can see it rock around in it's hole. New Oring time. Here is a picture of Saf-T fill device inserted in the hole under the air flap.
    IMG_0562[1].JPG Tough to see what you are looking at. Stove is inverted here.
    IMG_0558[1].JPG Tapioca pudding . Hard to see, but using both pots like a double-boiler. I LOVE tapioca pudding

Will get a new Oring and report back.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, @Majicwrench ,

The Opti 81 is a wonderful stove, BUT, those very fragile o-rings are sort of an Achille's Heel, of the design. I keep a small bag of replacements, both sizes, with mine, just in case. Especially in the super cold, those thin o-rings can, and will break on you, or crack. Either way, it's a problem of which to be aware.

I lube my Safe Fill o-rings with Carmex, which is my normal lip balm. The rings are lubed every time I remove and reinstall the Safe Fill. Doing it that way, helps the o-rings to last a good bit longer than they would otherwise.

Congrats on getting your 81, and have fun getting to know it, and letting it get to know you! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - I do consider the super thin o-rings on this stove to be a design flaw. If they had designed it to use larger, more robust o-rings, I think it would be much better. FWIW.