Plumbob Brand (Berlyn) 2 pint domestic - not Parasene by name

Discussion in 'Parasene' started by Dean, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Here is my 'new' silent burner, fixed trivet stove that I picked up for not a lot in a local house clearance shop this morning.
    [​IMG]
    It has the remnant of a yellow diamond transfer which likely says Plumbob Brand and Trustworthy.
    [​IMG]
    I believe this was made by Berlyn's, so have added it in the Parasene category! It has a circular indented rim in the base panel.

Had all three legs, the trivet top and the inner burner cap, but no outer. Pump leather was dry and I soaked it for a couple of hours in neatsfoot oil.
    I put a Primus cap on it, which seemed a bit loose.
    Fired it up.
    Gas leaks above the spirit cup were eliminated by gentle tightening of burner to riser joint. Once warmed and hot, the pump leather felt loose again, but turning it round a bit seemed to give some pressure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be rude not to make the tea with it!
    [​IMG]

It has a scruffy patination, which has probably taken many decades to develop. The dilemma is whether or not to erase it with the big bag of citric acid that I have just bought! I think I may leave the brass alone but dip the trivet top to derust it and then treat it to phosphoric acid rust treatment to blacken coat it.

I doubt it will stay long as I am no big fan of either domestic stoves or silent burners. I just bought it cos it was there, whereas yesterday's buy was a box load of Practical Mechanics from the 1940's and 50's - dearer and heavier to carry home. Thinking about it, I reckon they probably came from the same place.

Dean

Attached Files: