Polaris P-2 stove, instructions, and catalog. (Taiwan)

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Doc Mark, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Recently, a thread popped up about instructions for The Mite coil burner #53582, marketed by Phoenix, out of Taiwan. I made a quick comment about an identical stove that I own, the Polaris P-2 coil burner, and promised to post more info about it, along with the instructions. Here's the link to the original thread about The Mite:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/the-mite-no-53582-coil-burner.23111/#post-373751

Back when I found my Polaris P-2 stove (Thanks, @Doug L , for the heads up on that one!), I posted some quick snaps of the stove, and discussed it a tad. I also promised to post photos and info in the Reference Gallery, and the thread about The Mite spurred me to do just that.

Here's my Polaris P-2 stove: (I love the nice tin which this stove came! Better made, and better metal than the cheaper coil burner tins, IMHO.)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.jpg

Interesting to see that this metal still has some sort of illustration/impression on the inside bottom of the stove can. Recycled stuff? Maybe....

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

This was a hard photo to take, as I was trying to illuminate the inside of the tank, and thereby show the unused wick. Best I could do with the time allowed for this.

16.JPG
    (Sadly, the pdf files will still not post, even though I cut the size down to 150 dpi, darn it!) So, I took photos of the catalog and instructions, and hope they will work:

C1.JPG
    C2.JPG
    C3.JPG
    C4.jpg
    C5.jpg
    C6.jpg
    And, now, here's the fun part: The instructions in English, first, then Chinese, for those who can read them. Please pay careful attention to the spelling, and usage of certain words, and you will find some things that are flat-out hilarious!! IF you pay attention, you will see them, and if not, well..... you'll miss all the fun!!

I1.jpg
    I2.jpg

I3.jpg
    I4.jpg
    So, that's my Polaris P-2! When comparing it to the other coil burners I own, I have to say it's far better than the cheaper Japanese offerings, like the "Lil Injun", "Handy Camper", etc., but it's not as good as the English Stesco stove, nor the American Taykit coil burner. It's made with quite a bit of attention to detail, and that shows in the quality of the soldering, and the finishing of both steel and brass parts. Will I ever fire it up? Nah, no need. I like it just the way it is, and do hope to finally cobble together a replacement leg for it, out of steel, just to make it complete.

Thanks for checking it out, and thanks, again, to Doug L for turning me on to this neat little coil burner, years ago! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. If a Mod would rather have scans of the catalog and instructions, for the Reference Library, I could send them via "We Transfer", and hopefully, they could be used for better views of both. Please let me know, as I have not found a way to make the scans I took, either large, or smaller, post here.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Sorry you had trouble with the scans Mark but your photos have reproduced the text perfectly legibly. Thanks for going to the trouble.

I see what you mean about the translation errors,
    ... is a particular favourite and it's perhaps just as well that we're spared the details of the ...
    Ok, let's be fair, and what appears to be a shortfall in the calibre of translation is more than made up for by what appears to be a really well made coil burner with a sophisticated safety release valve and an exquisitely decorative windshield.

The stove tin's quite a beauty.

Excellent post, Mark, thank you.

John

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hello Mark

Great photos of your stove!

If you ever have problems with producing the correct sized image files, then just send them to me or give me a link.

Your friend
    Trevor

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@presscall , @shagratork ,

John and Trevor, thank you, very much, guys! I think it's a neat little stove, and I've wanted one every since the late, and very great Colin Fletcher mentioned that it was available. For some reason, I was thinking he believed the Mite to run on Meths, but I could very well be wrong, and probably am indeed! I'll check the book in which he mentioned this stove, and verify that, one way, or the other. I'm glad the photos are OK, and that they are usable.

Trevor, I may send you the pdf scans, if they would be of more value in the Reference Library. I scanned them at 300 dpi, and then later at 150 dpi, and neither would load here. If you can changed them to jpegs, or whatever is needed, the resolution may we better than the photos. We can discuss this later.

John, your eagle eye quickly found my favorites of the "interesting" use of English!! There are more little niggling oddities, but no matter, as that just adds to the charm of the little P-2.

Thanks, again, to you both, and have a wonderful evening!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

5. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Very interesting that the bends in the pot supports do not come down to the table. I'd be much happier using a stesco where much of the weight of the pot and it's contents is transferred to the table and not pushing on the mounting brackets. As can be seen here.
    Regards
    John

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017