Polish Army stove dated 1970.

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Robert Radcliffe, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom Subscriber

This stove was sold as a Polish Army stove but I can't confirm this. It's a solid well built petrol stove with a few quirks. The fuel inlet is difficult to access due to the large over hanging wind shield. The funnel that split in half during transit actually turns out to work nicely for filling. The pump is the smallest I've seen amongst any of my stove collection.
    Despite the quirks once running it's a reasonably powerful silent burner and easily controllable. It came with an aluminium pan set, pan grip and a very thick canvas bag, instructions in Polish and a few spares.

Screenshot_20190914-110753_eBay.jpg 20190914_085003.jpg 20190914_084834.jpg 20190914_084818.jpg 20190914_084503.jpg 20190914_084739.jpg 20190829_122927.jpg 20190829_122403.jpg 20190829_122521.jpg 20190829_122601.jpg 20190829_112442.jpg 20190829_112456.jpg

2. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Yeah...
    Name - properly is "ODRA" - technical DTK typ 5
    Thats versions "ODRA 2"
    "Polish Army stove" - Yes and Not... was produced on civilian market too, with the same design but without "military sack/cover" - on photo "civilian"
    In Army service - was used in field hospitals/ medical points
    ------------
    it was polish substitute Shmell 2/4 in Warsaw Pact military medical system
    but with better pump design
    older version - was with smaller windshield
    maker is the same like "Wisła" set
    ZSS - BZSS - POLSPORT, in Bielsko-Biała
    [​IMG]

3. Robert Radcliffe

@gieorgijewski
    Thanks for the extra information, it's always interesting to know more of the background and history of a stove. Can I just clarify if the heavy duty sack makes this the military version?
    Thanks
    Rob.

4. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Yes
    sack and form of instruction
    and "only army surplus can give NOS examples"

5. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

odras.jpg
    odras2.jpg
    older versions

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Robert Radcliffe
    Thanks for posting the details Robert.
    So, a regulated silent burner resembling that on a Phoebus 625 rather than a Swedish-pattern (Optimus etc. type).
    The photo of the older version posted by @gieorgijewski explains why access to the filler cap and pump knob is restricted - the tank and fittings were designed for that windshield and the new larger, bulkier one isn’t a comfortable match and overhangs as you say.
    Questions! (i) Is that an over-pumping safety release valve in the fuel filler cap? (ii) I don’t see a priming cup at the base of the burner, so spirit just pools in the base of the windshield (?) and what prevents it dripping out of the holes around the outside circumference of the windshield base?
    (iii) It looks like the windshield is held in place on the burner riser-to-tank threads as a spirit cup would be, sandwiched by burner washers? Is there a locating tab or other means to line up the control wheel rod hole with the burner regulator spindle or could the windshield rotate in use?

John

7. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

Yes originaly 1,6 atm - in my example rewritten on 2 atm
    [​IMG]
    yes, but w/o windshield use - is depressed tank for it...
    sandwiched by burner washers? no - windshield bottom "working as spring"
    between "riser" and tank with two pressed "points" making distance tank/winshield
    Is there a locating tab or other means to line up the control wheel rod hole with the burner regulator spindle or could the windshield rotate in use?
    I do not remember - but possible is "specjal shape" of windshields "burner hole".
    --------------
    in mounted stove - ""everything is on right place"

8. Robert Radcliffe

The picture of the older stove posted by @gieorgijewski certainly does help make sense of the restricted pump and filler cap. Looking at the stove I cant see anything that locks the windshield in a specific position, I think it's just held in place by the tension of the washers. I can't turn it though so no fear of it shifting.
    The pitch of the windshield base means there's plenty of volume for meths to preheat without it reaching the holes

9. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

...and current funel condition :))
    completed funel - not fit to windshield/tank space

10. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber