Possible asbestos?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by PaulH, Apr 3, 2021.

1. PaulH

PaulH United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all I’m not one for writing more a read and learn type.
    I’ve recently acquired another no2 mk2 military stove , this one is different because I believe the heat shield has a layer of asbestos. I’m just wondering if anyone else has come across this ? I’ve 4 of these particular type of stove and none of the others are like this. Any help would be appreciated image.jpg image.jpg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Yes it is asbestos but slow down a minute before you go into full panic mode. As long as you leave it alone it is not a threat or danger. The whole asbestos flap in the 1980s caused way more problems than it ever solved including the idea now in the public mind set that the tiniest bit of asbestos anywhere in the world is a catastrophe of apocalyptic proportions. In fact it is only dangerous to you if you start trying to remove it and break it up into tiny particles that become airborne and you inhale them. It is on your stove as a heat shield for the fuel tank. It needs to be there if you're going to use the stove. You could spray it with a clear high-heat paint (I use Duplicolor clear engine enamel, but I'm in the US). That would help contain any loose bits. If you start trying to scrape it off or other wise remove it you will create the very thing you're trying to avoid. Encapsulation was one of the approved methods of asbestos remediation, so a coat of paint that will help prevent any fiber from breaking loose and flying around is a good approach. Being scared of it because it is asbestos is neither reasonable nor helpful. Learn what the true risk is and mitigate as appropriate.

Best of luck with your stove.

4. PaulH

Thanx for the info

5. PaulH

Many thanx , I’ve a spare heat shield for the time being I think I’ll just use that after I’ve cleaned the stove up a bit