Possible to seal lantern top bung?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hikerduane, Oct 20, 2021.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I have a few more lanterns I'm working on and wonder if any ideas to seal around threads that the nut is screwed over on the fount top? Temporarily sealed the threads but it is still leaking after a bit. It looks like my first AGM lantern had the same issue. Not much activity over on CPL, so thought I would ask here. I did solder around the nut where it touches the fount, but the solder is not sticking around the threads and nut as that area can't be cleaned very good. Currently soaking the top in lye, hoping to use some POR-15, but that may not stand up to heat. Sorry for asking for help. Pictured is a stress cracked fount of my 1st lantern, but you can see the previous solder repair that maybe was successful by a PO, see the right edge of the opening where excess solder is obvious.
    Duane
    20211019_145113_opt.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @hikerduane

Whenever I’ve got to the “unfixable-with-threadlocker” situation, I’ve gone to solder or silver solder depending on the position.

Cleanliness is key. Water in bottom of fount and wet rags elsewhere. Clean, clean, clean, clean, flux, and flux, plenty of well directed heat.

Cheers

Tony

3. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I could see from what I did yesterday was mostly "bridged" around the threads, impossible to clean the threads where I need the solder to get sucked into. Thinking maybe cut the threads off flush with the nut, clean that best I can, then solder again. Still soaking in lye.
    Duane

4. Lance

Duane if all else fails feel free to send me the fount and I'll be happy to do the solder for you. No cost for the repair only shipping costs.

BTW you need plenty of heat for the repair that nut is soaking up a lot of heat and allowing it to be dissipated into the air. Sharp edges are where most heat is lost and that nut has lots of them.

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

@Lance, May do that instead of fixing beyond repair. You can see the rounded solder around the outer side of threads.
    Duane
    IMG_20211020_092448.jpg

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you Lance, sending to you Friday. Thinking I wouldn't do a very good job if a fix at all. Will experiment with the other fount, terribly stress cracked. Nice candidate for some POR-15 and a kero conversion until I get a Coleman 327 or other fount for it.
    Duane

7. Lance

Duane stress fractures are the hardest to repair because the material you are soldering to is so thin and the area you want the solder to be on is not wide. Then you pressurize the fount and that puts stress on the solder joint, POP and it's open again. I have tried several different ways to stop it up but the only thing I know for sure to fix it is to give it a mighty heave-ho over the side you go. Then replace it with one that doesn't have any stress fractures.

8. Lance

There is one thing I have not tried which might work but I really don't know. Find another font of the same size which is also stress fractured as the first and cut ribbons of metal from the second font to be soldered to the first one.* The metal of both fonts will have to be super clean so don't worry about scratches on the surfaces to which you will be adding the ribbon or on the inner side of the ribbon just make sure it is clean with no exposed discoloration. Any dirt will prevent the solder from sticking and you will have a leak.

* You could also use brass shim stock, and the best place to get that is at an auto parts store. Or your friendly solder mechanic. I'll put some in the box when I return this font.

Updates on the repair of this font will be made over the weekend or sometime next week. Llance

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Waiting with baited breathe, worked on a Coleman QL327 Saturday, easy fix, but then fixed a couple little things. The fixes were maybe not needed as after the fettling, the lantern ran bright after running 5 minutes. Had to replace the genny as it had a leak at the flare I couldn't rub out.
    Duane

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Where is the stove burner on that?