Pot set for Optimus/Svea 123

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Afterburner, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Afterburner

I saw Snow Peak The Trek Combo Aluminum pot set http://snowpeak.com/collections/cookware/products/trek-combo-aluminum-scs-010?variant=671149773 for sale. Price was good so I bought it. I tested how pot set work with Optimus/Svea 123. Looks that Snow Peak pot set is quite well compatible with 123:

1418750323-123PotSet1.jpg
    1418750350-123PotSet2.jpg
    1418750368-123PotSet3.JPG
    1418750385-123PotSet4.JPG

123 nests into smaller pot with it's cup. There has been older pot sets for 123 that are now obsolete. Looks that Snow Peak pot set is viable option if you need 1-2 pots for 123. :-s :content:

Snow Peak pots feel quite heavy so I think that they are made of from quite thick aluminium. :-k Bigger pot is 1,4 ltr. and smaller pot is 0,9 ltr. They are also sold separately and also titanium versions are available (I am not sure if titanium pots have same dimensions. To be sure it would good idea to test how they work with 123 :!: )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. tekkster

Speaking of the Trek combo:

I noticed that the Snow Peak Summit Hybrid is a perfect fit over the top of the SVEA 123R? (instead of the little cup that comes with the SVEA)

It goes all the way to the bottom rim of the SVEA.

And then, of course, like you showed, you could put that into the Trek 900 and Trek 1400.

3. Afterburner

Then 123 should fit also inside of Snow Peak's Solo Mini sets (Alu & Ti) since that Hybrid Summit set has same big pot except cup & lid are made of plastic. :-k

4. 1966dave

My understanding is the TI versions are the same size as the aluminium ones. If the Aluminium ones feel study I would be inclined to go with it instead of TI. I found the TI ones burn food quite easily.

Dave

5. Afterburner

I have similar experiences... I have MSR Titan Kettle that I use with Optimus Crux if I want to save weight. If I heat anything else than water I do cooking with it quite carefully since food tends to burn quite easily.

6. knutb

Yes, the 123 fits nicely in the Snow peak 900 (the smaller of the two). Nice little pot. I've used the combo a bit, and it's quite functional and compact. I just wish the frying pan (lid) was non stick as is the pot...

Another good option for the 123 is the Primus 1 litre Trek kettle.

7. linux_author

I like the Optimus Terra HE for my 123. The fins on the bottom seem to bring a boil up a bit faster (could be my imagination?)

1418767271-index.jpg

about US$29 online, so it fit my small budget

willie
    on the sunny Gulf of Mexico

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  8. tekkster

That's interesting, and I noticed the same thing frying up spam in a titanium cook set.

I was reading this article on cast iron and how it radiates heat very well....Is this a situation maybe of titanium heating up really fast, but not really being good at radiating heat, making anything touching the surface burn fast, while the rest of the meat cooks slow? I have no clue what I'm talking about, but just curious as I randomly correlate probably unrelated things (^_^)

9. tekkster

Love the Terra HE Weekend. Works well with every stove I have (except the wood ones....too lazy to have to clean the heat exchanger, so avoid any heat source that leaves a lot of soot).

10. Jim Henderson

Yeah, the Snow peaks will burn much easier than any heavier pan/pot.

I have a lot of Snowpeak Ti pot and pan sets, even a French Press coffee maker. I used to live not far from the Importer so there were lots of sales.

As mentioned, these pots and pans will burn quickly if you do not control your heat carefully. I think the problem is twofold, very thin metal and less conductivity. Aluminum is a better conductor of heat than Titanium. And, most similar aluminum sets I have seen are a bit heavier metal than what you see with Ti.

For the most part I like the Snowpeak Ti sets. In fact most of the pots and pans are somewhat non stick. I am not sure if it is a normal Ti characteristic or they use some coating. There is no color difference from inside to outside so I can't tell. The surface does feel a bit slippery to the hand.

However the one exception for me is that their Ti Teflon coated fry pan(8 inches?) is WORTHLESS. Burns food like hellfire and the bottom of the pan warped so now everything slides to the sides instead of being in the center. Sometimes it even pops or "Boings" if the warp reverses itself during heating. And it is as sticky as any pan I own. I must scrub it furiously to get the black crust out.

When camping I far prefer a medium weight Aluminum Teflon fry pan. I have two that I have used for up to decades. The oldest is some no name with folding handle and has never disappointed me. The newer one, maybe 10yo is from GSR, also with folding handle and does splendidly too.

There is a small Snowpeak pot/pan set that I like quite a bit. It is a single person set with two nested Round Bottom pots and if I recall correctly two small fry pans that nest on top. The round bottom and slippery feel seem to work well with this set and they are not as prone to burning, maybe due to the rounding?

Anyway, just my experiences with Snow Peak.

Jim Henderson

11. dday

dday Subscriber

Here is my set that I also prefer. A Terra Weekend HE with one of my trusty Sievert 123's wrapped in a Crown Royal bag to protect the pot. And naturally sporting a nice silent cap :) . The stove fits in the bag and everything fits very nice and snug in the Terra set. I just need to find a few of those clear plastic straws to store with it too. Man Venture Outpost had the Terra Weekend HE sets for under $22 awhile back too in case you are interested.
    Dan

1419034868-167884C6-9096-43AC-813E-49916B7FA35D_zpsszvbe9xj_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Reference the mention of burned food using Titanium.
    It's difficult to 'cook' using only boiled water. Here is a website that started me in the 'Freezer bag Cooking style" ..... Link
    There is a list of '101's'
    You can dehydrate leftovers and have a great meal in camp. Spaghetti for example. I usually mix different single items into a bag as a meal. Add hot water, wait 10 minutes, voila.

Ken in NC

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  13. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Christine and I met Sarah Kirconnell, the freezer bag cooking lady who runs that site, at Ipsuit Creek campground at Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park 6 or so years ago. This was about a five mile hike back in to the campground.

She was there with a son and a friend. We had a nice chat. They admired the smell of our frying steaks which wafted over the area (we were the only two camping parties). Since she was the freezer bag cooking lady, they were cooking freezer bags. I fancy that they were a little jealous of our rib steaks. But if you are the freezer bag lady, you are sorta stuck with it! 8)

14. 1966dave

I get the rehydrating as method of cooking on long hikes...but why sell frypans if they dont work? I love to take a stove to the beach/park and cook...cause I dont have to pack it (the food) as in hiking....and I love the looks from people sitting around me :D/

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Yeah Ed,
    It does seem that freezer bag style is not for every day or the first day if you can tolerate carrying extra weight. We had BBQ chicken at a snow cave expedition near Stevens pass years ago. That was the reason for a sled on a short snow shoe trip.
    The FB style does have it's uses.

Did you see the info she has for fauxbaker?
    I use a large silicone muffin cup to steam bake cake with maple crystals as a melted frosting. Yummy!!

Ken in NC

16. Ash Pan

Some people stick the stove in a bag before it goes in the pot set but I buy microfiber cloths three for a euro in the discount store and put one across the large pot before I pack the stove away. The cloth protects both pot and stove and is a handy cloth to have around to clean things up.

If the fit is really tight between stove and main pan then I use the much thinner often blue cloths that I know as j-cloths.

17. Pstm13

I just ordered this off of amazon.com for my 123. I'll post a follow up review when it shows up. It has a .9L pot and a .45L lid. The kicker is the 2 part wind screen. I am hoping to leave the bass windscreen at home and use this as a replacement.

41yXZG7b-HL._SX300_.jpg

18. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Don't forget the Camping Gaz Globetrotter panset, which accommodates a 123 like it was meant to.

Check out this thread.

19. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

@Ian , I have the Globetrotter and the Twister sets on the way home for my 123R. Looks promising! :content:

Alec.

20. Ian

Ian Subscriber

The GSI Glacier mug will just fit inside the smaller GT pan too