Pot size on a 123

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Greeley, Jul 12, 2018 at 12:28 AM.

1. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

What is the optimum pot size to use on a 123? I recall doing a Mount Saint Helens on my 123 using a 9 in fry pan?

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

3. Detroithiker

Detroithiker Subscriber

GSI has a cup that fits great.
    PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

MAJOR DIMENSION: 24 fl. oz.

WEIGHT: 8.0 oz

DIMENSIONS: 4.10'' x 4.10'' x 4.40''
    1270646688-GSI_Glacier.jpg

4. Billofthenorth

Billofthenorth Subscriber

Similar to the cup Walmart sells for about $5.

5. Garth

I would have thought the vertical stove would have been more tolerant of large pots compared to an 8r type the bigger the container there the more heat directed at the tank

6. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

The Svea 123 also works great with the Sigg Tourist kit, whose pots are quite a bit larger than those shown in the post.

....Arch

7. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

They also fit nicely in the camping gaz globe trotter pan set.
    I would have thought a 9-10 inch (22 - 25 cm) frying pan would be OK stability-wise with the pot rests turned outwards. The fount will get hot if you leave the pan on there too long.
    Regards
    John

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I think it matters more what you want in a cook pot, not what fits the stove.

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I use the Sigg pots.

10. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

My original question was about how large a pot one could put on 123 without overheating the stove causing the NRV to blow. Any answers to that?

11. shueilung.2008

Well @Greeley ...

Let's say that if you use the Uruguay's "Benzine", you will never have an overheathing problem... :rage:

Regards

Enrique

12. afoton

With too wide pot, I think balancing will be a problem long before overheating.

13. Russenjesus

each stove should have a user manual!

At Enders stove's it's about 20cm max. diameter - and yes its true, i killed a burnerhead with a 28cm Pot. After the second Tankfill was nearly empty i lost the burnerhead by overheating....

Same problem had my friend with the russian R8 clone, he didn't saw the pilotflame of the SRV, a few minutes later his desk burned...

Also RTFM!

RJ

14. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I agree with @afoton and I don't think a 9" fry pan will cause a problem.

The overheating problem, with the 123 or any other self-pressurizing stove, will occur if you are too aggressive with a windscreen. If you closely surround the stove with foil, for example, it will overheat. It's best to just have a windscreen on the windy side and at some distance from the stove to allow heat to dissipate. Obviously, "too much heat" is also determined by air temperature, the temperature of the surface on which the stove is set, wind speed, and probably other factors.

Heat from the pot will affect a folding stove like an Optimus 8 more than it will affect an upright stove like a Svea 123.

....Arch

15. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I wanted to comment on a pot mentioned in the link. The Optimus HE is a very nice pot and I think it does use less fuel, but I would not recommend it for the 123. Although the stove packs nicely inside, it is very unstable while cooking. No matter which way you turn the pot supports the pot is always”on the edge”. Way too unstable for me. +1 on the Sigg set. The non HE Optimus with flat bottom would work much better if you are looking for a water boiler.

16. haknuts

haknuts Subscriber

17. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hello Haknuts,
    It's not my post, I know. FWIW myself I like this OP "how large of a pot/pan for Svea 123?" focus.
    Greeley, pardon my drift.
    Haknuts, I've not tried your interesting and affordable Stanley example (I do intend to find one and try it). Re that, do as you wish. FYI myself, I'll follow your comments elsewhere w/interest or if you comment here, w/ a Stanley solo cook set, if you like. Eitherway it's good stuff, all good, my best regards.

Greeley,
    Arch's positive / helpful reputation precedes him. Given that his comment is in vein of helpful (vs critical).
    Re his: "I don't think a 9" fry pan will cause a problem." .

Your SRV released, so you wonder about 9" pan.
    Posts re direct experience, yours and others, are arguably the best reference our site has. I thank you for posting this.
    Granted, the Svea needs non-restricted air flow to cool tank (hard flat surface might aid cooling too).

It sounds like maybe a 9" pan can be a problem? certainly if ambient air cooling is not optimal.
    Might there be additional factors ?

I'm looking at a 7 3/4" fry pan atop a Svea 123, it's big. I don't think I'd opt for using a 9" pan myself, generally speaking and haven't tried it.

If 9" is typically fine, did your SRV release early?, IIRC you can hear fuel boiling before SRV releases.

OP is re diameter of pan, more later.
    Does type of pan and contents matter? I think yes.

> Aluminum transfers/expels heat exceptionally well.
    [[ > Brass/copper transfers/conducts radiant heat exceptionally well.]]
    > Modern thick bottom fry pans.. transfer even heat into pan.. exceptionally well .. I dunno what goes on below that modern pan?
    > Cast iron fry pans retain heat (and cast iron is exceptional at radiating heat).
    > WATER / Liquid or pan full of a moist food helps absorb / expel heat.

A 9" cast iron pan... frying sausage links 'til they're crispy, or sizzling hot burgers / steaks ...it may get a Svea too hot?
    [[[ If you like 9" cast iron but Svea does overheat, using a diffuser under it may be an option? It should? reduce downward radiant heat ]]]
    ----
    DIAMETER:
    Above, all agree *SIGG is good size pan (pots), it is aluminum , the bottom surfaces are 6 1/8" / 15.5cm.
    US Army mountain cook set, this fry pan, thin SS, is 7 3/4" / 19.6cm.

* I refer to SIGG Tourist's pots/pans, a 2-3 man cook set, designed for Svea 123 (maybe dummy proof? a little larger pan being totally fine w/alert careful use?) .
    They did not offer option of larger pan / 4+ man SIGG cook set (for Svea 123).
    They did sell larger camping fry pans / pots (7 - 7 3/4").
    thx omc

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 6:26 PM
  18. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I overheated a 123 R using a 10 inch fry pan on a hot day. It did not pop the SRV but it got hot enough to burn up all the fuel way faster than normal. It did not burn well after that. The wick looked good and only very slightly discolored at the tip. I was sure the wick was ok, but it did not run well until I tried replacing the wick.

19. Jim Lukowski

>>each stove should have a user manual!

I just looked at the instruction sheet for a 123 in the box that I have, and saw no reference to pot size, or anything about cooking for that matter.

20. Garth

Id go less than 8 inch just had one of those round toaster things on my 8r it wasnt happy at all srv held together but spindle started leaking soon after a full turn of sealing nut got things working again its not so much the srv concerns me bit the baking its washers and seals its only a small one man device afteralll