Prabhat No. 1 Stove (Silent Burner) *

Discussion in 'India' started by morgantruce, Apr 30, 2008.

1. morgantruce

Prabhat stoves were first manufactured in India under license from Primus during the 1930's. The stoves are now manufactured by Indo Manufacturing, Ltd. I recently purchased a new Prabhat No.1 stove with silent burner fitted. The stove comes with three stout leg supports soldered to the brass body and a pot ring attached.

In addition to the fully functioning stove, the following spares are included:

3 cleaning needles
    1 pump leather
    1 tank lid washer
    and a funnel

1354717362-Prabhat1.jpg

The name "Primus" is cast into the wings of the tank cap. "Special/Original" is cast into the air bleed screw. "Prabhat" is stamped into the pot ring. The outer burner cap is stamped "Prabhat" as well.

1354717368-Prabhat2.jpg

The top of the stove tank is embossed with large raised letters--with enough exotic verbiage to satisfy the imagination of any dedicated armchair world traveler.

1354717374-Prabhat3.jpg

After a moderate amount of fooling around with the pump leather---and eventually fitting the provided spare leather--- the pump was able to pressurize the stove. This was followed by a successful dunk test in a bucket of water and a swishing and dumping of a bit of kerosene to make certain no strange objects were in the tank. The "funnel" that comes with the stove is tiny little chunk of plastic that includes a plastic mesh that would easily pass a good sized lady beetle with comfort. I used my own funnel with a very fine brass mesh filter to fill the tank with kerosene/paraffin to 3/4 of capacity. After priming the stove a bit with some alcohol/spirit, I pumped a few times, held a match to the outside of the burner cap, and the stove immediately came to life with a nice satisfying "POP!"

1354717380-Prabhat4.jpg

"Hello? Police....? I want to report a flying saucer! Yeah, it's got blue fire coming out from it's sides and an eerie red glow overall. Please come quickly!"

-----------------------

While some members of this board prefer a "tea test" of their stoves, I prefer the more demanding "Oatmeal Test" -- which requires a lengthy simmering following the initial boil. The Prabhat easily passed the oatmeal test (and helped me reduce my cholesterol level a bit!) Mmmm... oatmeal!

The stove appears to be generally well made. The legs are well-soldered to the body. The stove is well-sealed, without any leaks. Any trouble I had with the pump leather, I would attribute to the stove sitting around in it's box unused for an unknown number of years since being manufactured.

One thing that could have been better was the pipe-threading on both the tank lid fitting and the pump fitting---I had to be very careful not to cross-thread either of these when starting the caps onto the threads. The threads are cut deeply enough, but a lot of care is necessary to engage them properly. I am hoping one of you will offer a good fetting solution to this problem.

I am reasonably certain that this stove will serve my purpose as an emergency backup cooker to my kitchen range.

Gene
    -------------------------

Edit: I took some very fine emery paper, and sanded the first thread while holding the paper at a 45 degree angle to the pipe. This seems to allow the caps thread on the fittings without much fuss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. hobowonkanobe

Do you know if there's a "210" type, aka 1 pinter w/ roarer burner that breaks down? What would the $ be for either?

Aaron

3. morgantruce

I have not seen a 1-pinter break-down type in the Prabhat line.

If you follow my links, you will see the prices for the Prabhat No. 1 stoves. I do not wish to quote prices here.

4. morgantruce

Ten days ago, I ordered some leather pump cups from "sefaudi" on eBay. When I mentioned to him that I was a member of the CCS forum he volunteered to send me an extra three pump leathers gratis. He also offered to send a mix of large and small washers. I wound up receiving six large and two small washers. (Too bad for the folks who aren't registered on CSS!) :D

Last night I installed one of the washers on the pump rod and let it sit in olive oil overnight. I also added a spring to the pump shaft. This morning I installed the pump rod. With the tank cap off, I can hear air bubbling through through the kerosene in the tank. With the two pump leathers that came with the stove, that was not the case.

Then I fired up the stove...

Wow! What a difference! This Prabhat stove is working right for the first time. With only moderate pumping, I get a very large, hot flame at the burner.

Question: What can one Turk do that a billion Indians cannot?

Answer: Make a good leather pump cup.

Congratulations and many thanks to Sefa... (and apologies to the workers at the Prabhat factory who make an otherwise fine stove.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hello, Gene,

Outstanding report, Sir!! Well done, and good photos, too!

Like you, I recently bought a Prabhat stove, roarer variety, and a Prabhat lantern, both from Old Town Coleman Center. I have not yet had time to try either one. But, I do know that, like you, I AM going to install some of Sefa's outstanding leather pump buckets!! Otherwise, though a bit rough in some areas, as you mentioned, I think both items seem robust, and fairly well made, and I look forward to using both of them. For Hobo, and others that seek pricing, check the Old Town Coleman Center site, and you will be pleasantly surprized at how affordable both items are! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. morgantruce

Thanks Doc for the kind words.

I've been using this stove a few times over the past week and have it pretty well figured out. It likes a hefty squirt of alcohol (don't we all now and then?) If you try to economize on the alcohol, the stove can't really decide whether to shoot vapor out of the jet or just a stream of liquid. I also get better results when letting the alcohol burn completely out before closing the bleeder, pumping the tank, and holding a match to the outer burner cap. If I try to get fancy and start pumping just as the primer is about nearly gone, I usually get an underburn going instead. I think I can afford the two matches with this silent burner system. I think the one-match system works a whole lot better for a roarer burner.

I like this stove. I like the raised lettering on the tank. The majority of members on CCS are into collecting old classic stoves. While I certainly appreciate antiques (and especially useful antiques) I came here to find a stove to use as an emergency backup. For that purpose, buying a newly manufactured item has certain benefits, but I am not going to strongly argue the point because I understand that very few of us live in places where pressure stove parts are available at the local hardware store.

All of these stoves have a magical appeal to us: you pour in a little stuff here, a little other stuff there, do a little dance.. and the next thing you know, you've got a nicely controlled fire going. It's appeal is primeval--way more complicated than rubbing two sticks together, but the end result is just as satisfying! And I'm probably discounting the complexity of what our forbearers had to contend with the choice of wood for their sticks, the precise angle they held them, and the brand of tinder they chose... "Honey, would you pick up some more of that nice tinder you found near the neighbor's cave last week...?"

7. Christian Hintz

Aaron,

Pelam sells this Prabhat stove with silent burner for ? 39.95 and with roarer for ? 36.95. But there is another shop in Germany selling those stoves and some other classic kero-stoves as well: have a look at Link. Besides the NOS Phoebus and the Optimus marine stove there are some different types made in India. Good stoves for a reasonable price. If you don't understand the descriptions, feel free to ask in English.

Kind regards, Christian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  8. Jeremy Belgrave-Lock

Jeremy Belgrave-Lock United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Folks, I have only just recently joined the CCS forum because I purchased a Prabhat No. 1
    Stove with Roarer Burner - not exactly a classic, being new, but a good stove for a novice. The stove is available in the UK with both Roarer and Silent Burners for ?42.50 postage free from Carl at: www.hurricanelamps.co.uk

prabhat16.jpg

Assuming I've got it correct you should see what I got for my money, but for some reason I did not include the green plastic "Meths" bottle in the photo!

Regards, Jeremy

9. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

LOL, they do have a lot of confidance in the product though :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015