pre-1914 Lux #9

Discussion in 'Lux' started by Doc Mark, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Recently, I've had a run of excellent good fortune, in scoring interesting, or rare stoves. Amongst them was a very lovely, pre-1914 Lux #9. I'll let the photos speak for the stove, for the most part. This Lux is full of beautiful stamps and marks!! Wonderful stuff, to be sure!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Very nice travel cap, insitu.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Dimpled spirit is quite pronounced.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Wonderful knurling on this stove, as can be seen here.

18.jpg

I can't make out what this number stamp is supposed to be.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Deep stamping on the bottom of the font. See the letter "A" of the side? I wonder what that means??

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Not sure if this is original, but it fits like it is. I noted another #9 in the Gallery, on which the trivet is marked "LUX". This one, obviously, is not marked that way. One pot support has been snapped off, too. Otherwise, this cast iron trivet is in excellent condition.

25.jpg

The snapped off pot support.

26.jpg

The flame shots were taken by the seller. I'll snap some of my own, soon.

28.jpg

You can see, it runs quite nicely!!

27.jpg

From a 1913 Lux catalog, we see that this one was meant to be a traveling stove. Very nice. One day, maybe I'll find a proper tin in which to put this wonderful stove!

29-Lux1913_13 catalog..jpg

Interesting wrench in the tin, isn't it?! I have seen another one here in the Gallery, that belongs to one of our Stalwart CCS Members. A bit different than the one in the tin, but marked "Lux", which makes it a real treat to see!! Please check it out in this thread by @Doug L . Doug, yours is a wonderful stove, for sure, and I love seeing how it goes nicely into the box.

Lux 9 with box

I have been very blessed in the finding and scoring interesting, fun, and sometimes rare stoves, and I am grateful for that blessing!!! As I always say, "The more you hunt, the more you will find", and I guess this Old Timer Lux #9 is a good case in point!! Thanks for checking it our, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That is a very handsome stove, Doc.

You are indeed a lucky stove magnet.

Cheers

Tony

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Loox!

Our stove was a bit of newspaper, dipped in paraffin, and lit in a hole in the street....

4. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Only you Doc can find a rare stove like this, well done. It’s a beautie.
    Goes well too.

Cheers
    Rob

5. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

What an absolute cracker Doc. Superb:thumbup:

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Tony Press , @Ed Winskill , @Robert Bruce , and @igh371 ,

Thank you, Guys, for the nice comments! We hardly ever see stoves like this on our side of The Pond. So, when this one came along, I HAD to spring for it!!! Same with the neat Primus #303 that came my way a few days ago, and well..... several other stoves that were included in that spate of buying!!! Good thing I have an understanding Bride, who loves cooking on these Old Timers!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. threedots New Zealand

Beautiful stove you have there @Doc Mark . A candidate for stove of the month.:thumbup::)

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, All,

@threedots , thank you very much, Good Sir! I was surprised when I got this one, as it was up for auction, but I guess everyone else thought it was too expensive. As I had a "fund" going, for something else, I had the scratch, and decided it was too nice to pass up!! I agree, though, it IS a beauty, and runs a treat, too!

By the way, @Ed Winskill wrote, "Loox! Our stove was a bit of newspaper, dipped in paraffin, and lit in a hole in the street...." To which I reply, "Pure Loooxury!! OUR family heated our food by rubbing our hands together, as fast as we could, and making it warm"!!!

Doc

9. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

X
    I do the same thing. Then as usual right after I raid my fund the thing I was saving up for shows up for sale and I can’t afford it.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Duck ,

Yep, that's a great way to be able to afford stuff. Both SB and I have "funds" going, most of the time, and often it takes us YEARS to save up for what we want to get. In my case, I had a "gun fund", and a "Lens fund", and since CA's gun laws are now so invasive and draconian, I decided to spend my gun money on stoves, instead! So, now I only have one fund left, and that's for a new lens for my Nikon!! Soon, that will be spent, too, and I'll be starting all over again! ;) :-({|= :-({|= :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc

11. Afterburner

@Doc Mark You have found a beautiful Lux stove! :thumbup::clap:

I like Lux stoves, they are well made with nice details.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Afterburner ,

Thanks, very much! I am always impressed by the very vintage, wonderful stoves that @igh, @kerophile , @Spiritburner , @Tony Press , and many others find and share here!! So, when this stove was offered, I HAD to buy it, to add to my meager collection of similar stoves!! Thanks to all those Gentlemen, for inspiring me to acquire a few stoves like this Lux! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, All,

Here are some shots of last nights tea test on this lovely Lux #9!

A.jpg

C.jpg

B.jpg

D.jpg

As you can see, the old Lux passed the "Kerophile Tea Test" with ease! I apologize for the trash cans in the photo. This morning, very early, was trash day, and I had staged the cans there, so that this morning it would be easy to take them to the street, for pick up.

E.jpg

I am always in awe that such old stoves can, and do, function just like new, when given just a tad of maintenance!! This stove remains on of my most favorite, in my collection! Thanks for checking it our, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (in love with his Lux!)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  14. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Doc Mark More great images of a wonderful old-timer stove. Well over 100 years old and still operating as it should.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Lovely kettle on a lovely stove!

16. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

She's a beaut Doc! Worth the wait for sure.

17. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner Subscriber

A masterpiece Doc, great that this stove found its way to your safe and capable hands! :thumbup:

18. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Nice work, Doc!

Tony