Pre-1915 Optimus Patent No.1

Discussion in 'Optimus No:1(inc. S & J)' started by igh371, Oct 12, 2016.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC04781.JPG

Basket case pre-1915 external NRV Optimus No.1 brought back from the brink:D There are so few of these fixed-leg basic Optimus No.1s around that it seemed a shame not to make it usable at least. Apart from that I just happen to like this design.

Look carefully and you can just about make out the shadows of where the legends used to be:
    DSC04785.JPG DSC04784.JPG DSC04786.JPG

Even the centre of the filler cap is nearly worn away:
    DSC04782.JPG

But the Optimus globe is still OK:
    DSC04783.JPG

Original type burner:
    DSC04780.JPG DSC04787.JPG

Basic pan trivet:
    DSC04779.JPG

And off we go:
    DSC04778.JPG
    Ok so there was a bit to be done internally as well, but worth the effort to preserve another one of these I think.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Evening, Ian,

This is a great Old Timer and I appreciate your effort in bringing it back to life!! I have a couple of Primus stoves of similar vintage, but one has the outboard NRV, and has been mucked up by some previous owner in the past. I'm not ready, yet, to attack something like that. But, seeing your efforts here is a good thing, and I am glad you had success, and thank you for sharing this great old Patent #1 here!! Well done!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Yet another very old Optimus brought back to life.
    Does it have anything stamped on the bottom of the tank?

4. igh371

Some additional info prompted by the above contributions:

1. The tank bottom is clean, no provenance marking, only a clear single letter 'V' near the centre.

2. Regarding dating as 'pre-1915', this is based on the fact that the 1915 catalogue shows that the legs had acquired feet by then (see p.6). Earlier catalogues show only the plain cut off leg bottoms as here.

3. There may be some significance in that the incuse name pressure release screws fitted to this and other similar age Optimus stoves have a very slightly smaller thread diameter compared to the later relief named air screws. The difference is such that whilst it is just possible to get away with a very loose fit of an incuse marked screw in a later fitting, it is quite impossible to retro-fit one of the later larger diameter screws into one of these earlier stoves. Could this difference be linked to Optimus using ex-Lux tooling to produce some parts from 1914 onwards? (Lux stoves also had feet on their legs at a time when the Optimus No.1s & 5s still did not:-k)

5. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Ian,
    Thank you. It's a banner day for anyone researching ancient Optimus timeline info :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. To your credit above are posted two entirely new factors iirc and shedding more probability on a 3rd factor re the Lux influence. It's all good !!!
    The feet aspect applies to the old Optimus domestics, models you're most familiar with but that don't always get the focus that other models do.
    The differing text on the air screw (great job!!!), I credit you as you know but I've already found this helpful btw (after you suggested it) and can confirm it goes beyond domestics. It's not just the screw's appearance but I'm so thankful you have the insight to include important detail re the "fit" as well. :clap::clap:
    thank you, best regards omc
    My thanks also for adding "no provenance" stamped on bottom :content:.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. igh371