Pre 1962 OPTIMUS 8R

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8R' started by ROBBO55, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

I know another 8R! But as this is the first 8R I have fettled back to life I decided to post it.

I have dated the stove 1956 - 1962 based on kaw550red’s excellent post DATING PTC & POST PTC OPTIMUS 8Rs https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/ptc-post-ptc-optimus-8rs.15471/

The stove as received. Not pretty but the cleaning needle was the only missing part.
    1.JPG

Replaced all the seals including the SRV.
    The original wick was in reasonable condition with a little burning at the top. But I decided to replace it with new cotton strands.

2.JPG 3.JPG

Components after cleaning. Some of the spanner connections have been rounded making it impossible to disassemble using the spanner.

4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

I stripped the case before repainting, first with a vinegar bath followed by electrolysis.

8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

Note this 8R has a handle

12.JPG

Running.

13.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

Looking good, a nice example. I now have one after getting a Russian clone thinking I would not find an Optmus then one turned up, so I could not resist it. They both work nearly the same after the usual fettle. The clone uses a bit more fuel I think but it is marginal. They are all good users.

Cheers
    Rob

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:!

Cheers

Tony

4. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Very very nice. The only 8's I find are the standard Optimus 8. Thanks for posting!

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Thanks for the comments.

@Robert Bruce , I know what you mean. They are scares in these parts also. It took me nearly 2 years to get this one. I don't think hiking stoves were very popular around Sydney. When hiking it was never very difficult to start a fire for cooking in a eucalyptus forest and a stove was just excess weight.

@Lighthouse , I haven't seen an Optimus 8 where I am. I do have one but I had to go to New Zealand to find it.

6. Tracer

Tracer Subscriber

No dents in the case, mine seems to have dropped a few times :-)
    Great paint work, did you used a spraycan or a spraygun?

7. itchy

Can't have too many 8r pictures.

Nice work. Brass screen over the wick is also something that seems to have been done away with on later models. I wonder if that is part of the reason the old wick was in such good shape?

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Thanks @Tracer and @itchy
    The case had a couple of minor dents but I knocked them out before painting. The case was painted with a spray can. First undercoat then colour and finally a clear coat.

It may help with the flow of fuel thus preventing the wick drying out and charring. Someone with more experience than me might have an opinion on that.