pre heat paste or primer

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by steve coomber, Jun 6, 2011.

1. steve coomber

can you make your own pre heat paste or primer. something maybe mixed with gelatine. i normally use meths. maybe something i can put in an old toothpaste tube might be good. i pre heat the 8r with the petrol but it a bit smokey no smoke with meth as the pre heat.

2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I used some alcohol gel to prime my stoves (this stuff is sold in 1litre bottles for starting BBQ's or use in 'gourmet' heaters over here) It works nice, but leaves a green gum (can be peeled of when thick enough). As they have a small pouring sprout it might be possible to fill an empty toothpaste tube, never tried it myself though.

Best regards,

Wim

3. steve coomber

i can buy zippo lighter fluid in a small can i think its naptha. but i cant buy paste locally. some people use pre heat paste on there kero or gasoline stoves what is it made of

4. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

I tried alcohol based hand sanitizing gel. It burns OK, but leaves an ugly looking residue. (It is easy to peel off.) The gel can be bought in small plastic bottles with a short spout, that makes for easy application into the preheat pan of a stove.

Yonadav

5. nzmike

.....or you could wrap the valve stem with fiberglass rope and hold it in place with a couple of turns of wire. I like this method since there is no flaming liquid to get away and cause strife. I habitually use gas to prime my 123's, one less thing to carry/lose/forget and starts readily with a sparker. :mrgreen:

6. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Over here, we've got this hand sanitizing gel, 60-65% ethanol, burns right nicely and cleanly, as much as I've seen.

Murph

7. itchy

College kids (& probably high school kids) have been doing this for years. I doubt it would be a good fire paste however.

http://www.myscienceproject.org/j-shot-2.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. davidcolter

Burning gelatin would surely stink to high heaven!

9. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

The paste is convenient but leaves a solid residue. I prefer liqud meths.

10. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

If I have to use something and I don't have methylated spirits, I prefer Coghlan's fire paste. It leaves behind a pile of ash that is easily dusted away. No hard residue or pasty film left behind. I've tried the fire starter gelatin and that leaves a nasty gel and film on my stoves. Will use it in a pinch though.

2 more pennies,
    sam

11. steve coomber

pre heat paste is not available in aus and i am told that all dual fuel (single burner) stoves are likely to be withdrawn from sale soon due to lack of demand. my 8r needs some pre heat normally use metho or just the smokey gasolene.

12. anlrolfe

Fiberglass rope or material like the MSR Whisper Lite International priming wick will slow the evaporation of gasoline and make for a slower burn. It will not stop it from smoking but I think it smokes less. I use fiberglass wick salvaged from "safe heat" cans and have braided it around the bases of my 123's. I typically prime these with a cap full of gas. I figure I need to burp the tank anyway and it's one less thing to worry about. I do carry 4oz of alcohol just in case. I tend to use other cleaner fuels when fishing(gassies or Trangia). I do not like the thought of fuel on my bait/lures/line.

AR

13. Dusty

Steve Coomber,
    If you still need a fire paste to use as a pre warmer try this DIY Fire Gel/Paste.

You can buy calcium acetate, you'll need to combine 2 parts water to every 3 parts calcium acetate. Then stir to mix and measure the remaining calcium acetate/water to know how much isopropyl alcohol to add. (Skip next step)

Or you can make it yourself. If you take calcium carbonate (powdered chalk), and acetic acid (grocery store white vinegar) and mix them together, the result will be the chalk and vinegar will combine to create carbon dioxide, which will evaporate away, water and calcium acetate.
    Put 1/2 a cup of white vinegar in a 1 pint jar, add 1/8 cup of chalk into the vinegar slowly (a little bit at a time, outside due to the release of CO2) until mixed together thoroughly. After that allow the mixture to settle. There will be water on top and calcium acetate on the bottom. Use a marker to mark the level of the water then measure and mark the half way point of the water. Now let 1/2 to 2/3rds of the water evaporate away through heating it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Then stir to mix and measure the remaining calcium acetate/water to know how much isopropyl alcohol to add.

You need to make the solution is 9 parts 99% isopropyl alcohol to 1 part calcium acetate/water. Once you know how much alcohol to add measure it out, adding the alcohol will cause the solution to quickly begin to gel on its own. Stir the solution to mix all of the alcohol with the calcium acetate and water mixture. If you add too much alcohol It will just be a little bit soupier, leaving the lid off and stirring will evaporate some of the alcohol. Do this until you have the consistency you want.

You can spread this along a piece of metal, fill old small jar lids (burns about 20 minutes). It can be used in soup cans (burns about 3 hours) to make a freestanding indoor fireplace in the winter using a few bricks and some river rocks. Be safe.
    Dusty