Prentiss Waber No:8F

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by MrAhh, Oct 9, 2010.

1. MrAhh

Can anyone help me identify this? I just acquired this very old camp stove with the inside labels painted over & nothing stamped in the case except the # 209 on a riveted tin tag on the front. It looks & describes just like a pre-1934 3-burner Prentiss Wabers Model 168 I saw here (or somewhere). The grill is cast iron & maybe the burners too.

1354833521-stove_optimized.jpg

I got it to pressurize enough to emit a little gas, but pump cup needs serviced to get full pressure, so I didn't try to light it yet. It's in fairly good shape except the silver paint-over on the inside. not sure if the red on the outside is original, but may not be because I see dull greenish paint or primer where it's peeling, but it looks "factory" compared to the inside?

Can't find ANYTHING on it ANYWHERE, so THANKS MUCH in advance for any expert info.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. MrAhh

I saw somewhere that Prentiss Wabers (if it is one) is also associated with the names Preway & "auto kamp kook kits", just can't find THIS one associated to those monikers. ???

"curiosity killed the cat, but it's only driving this dog crazzzy!!!"...

3. Knight84

That is a Prentiss Wabers Model 8f

Jeff

4. MrAhh

wow, thanks Jeff! Any idea of year, or where a naieve & unsavvy schmuck such as myself might find any literature, (such as owners manual, schematic/parts list, advertising, etc.) on such a thing?

Much appreciation! David

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Knight84

Hello,

Sorry I was just on my way out the door when I saw your post. I finally got some time tonight to take a second look at yours. I have only seen one of these stoves. I just replaced the valve packing on his stove.
    I don't rememeber his having a pump built into the tank. Yours might be a later model or a different model. Very similar though.

As far as literature, owners manual, schematic, parts list, and advertising. There isn't much out there I have seen. These are old and somewhat rare stoves. They for the most part work much like Coleman stoves of the day. I will have a look around.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

It might help if you post your pictures on The Coleman Collectors Forum It is a free site to join and there are a lot of helpful people that know a lot more than my dumb Canadian self. Don't worry about your stove not being a Coleman. They are a great bunch of Gentleman like here.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. coleman413c

coleman413c Subscriber

Mr. Ahh:

Your stove is shown in my 1934 Preway(Prentiss Wabers) Catalogue. According to the catalogue, yours is the large 2-Brnr offered that year. There were two others that were slightly smaller, both with wire grates. One of those also has the front mounted fuel tank with flip up metal strip(Model 208) while the other(the low end stove) has the tank mounted on the right side as in previous models(Model 205). A 3-brnr was also offered that year, listed as Model 212.

Preway discontinued 1-Brnr stoves after the 1924 model year.

Original color is more a slightly dark green, almost a drab type of color. Not the easiest to match up.

The 3-Brnr stove you show from Terry Marsh's site was mine originally, long since sold. That one pre-dated yours by about 2-3 years.

Hope that helps you some. My apologies for taking so long to post.

Joe Pagan

7. Lance

I may have that colour of paint on my shelf. I would suggest you contact Catus Paint of Big Springs TX. Ask for some WW2 army green paint in the semi-gloss formula.

I don't know how to find them on the web but i'm sure a web search will find them. This is the same colour as that which is the proper colour of all WW2 US army vehicles. this colour can be seen in redspeedsters postings of the Pickering 40's Weekend" in the lounge. The colour being that which is being shown on the jeeps.

lance

8. MrAhh

Thanks sir! That helps a TON! Except you didn't mention which model# MINE was. Is it not listed there?

And you're right about the color. When I examined the scrathes I first thought there was some dark primer under the red, but gently scraped more away in several spots & realized it was indeed "army green". But investigating the angle that it may have been a "made for military" model, I find no indication Preway/PW did that.

I AM going to re-finish it, since it was SO poorly done last time, (TRASHED as you can see), but may go the route of new custom colors, though I hear that hurts the "collectible re-sale" value, IF I am forced to part with it in deference to EATING! -lol-

THANKS AGAIN,...as Tony the Tiger would say; "You're Grrrrrreat!!!"

9. MrAhh

Thanks to you to sir. Big help if I decide to go "as original", though I'm leaning towards something a little "snazzier" right now.