Prentiss Wabers 509A

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by RonPH, Sep 11, 2011.

1. RonPH

Got this as a swap for my Phoebus 725 with Fuelish during the Oregon Stove Gathering 2011. What attracted me to do a swap is the cast iron grate which looked to me like it was also used in other PW models due to the holes on the grate to secure it. The burner and manifold is cast iron and the tank itself is steel which looked to be in very good shape.

Since Fuelish was in and out of the camp, I was not able to show him that I was able to fettle the stove which required me to replace the flat fiber o-ring on the tank cap and a fresh dab of oil on what seems to be fiber pump cup. Since the whole pump tube comes off as you unscrew the mouse ear type cap, I did replace also the PIP as it was bone hard. I also cleaned the pump tube with a bit of acetone thanks to Doc Mark who had some with him. Reason for cleaning the pump tube as it had some green limey substance at the bottom of the pump tube which kept on sticking to the pump cup as a down stroke was made.

It did have an issue with the vaporizer not delivering the right amount of fuel to the burners as this perhaps has not been fired for quite a long time. After flushing the tank and adding fresh Coleman Fuel as well as removing some carbon on the cleaning rod, it ran like a champ today. The 2nd burner is opened using a rod with a loop at the end which is extended out of the side for use. To light the 2nd burner, one only has to move the lever up (just like flipping the light switch) and closing it would be just to pushing it down. The lever is a bit sticky but in time I will get it to work more efficiently.

As you will see, both burners work and the slave burner has a lower flame output just like the Coleman suitcase stoves. I would like to thank BernieDawg for his insight on "how to light" this monster which was similar to the Coleman suitcases. One knob for the preheat and the other for throttling the fuel feed. Using only the main burner at full throttle, I really get a very strong flame pattern and I may add that it does simmer well. As with any suitcase stove, it is susceptible to wind hence the side flaps need to be in place.

When I get time, I will be putting 1 - 2 fluid ounces for carb or injector cleaner hoping that this will clean up any other gunk that may be in the vaporizer. Otherwise, this stove is intended to be a user hence just a bit of clean up with soap and water to remove the years of leftover debris from cooking.

1315711535-PW509B001.jpg

1315711544-PW509B002.jpg

1315711553-PW509B003.jpg

1315711561-PW509B004.jpg

1315711572-PW509B005.jpg

OK Fuelish, now you see it here running well.

Based on some Googling, the stove was probably marketed between 1936 ~ 1937.
    Man! This stove is older than me :shock:

Thanks for looking.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Lance

But not older than Doc Mark who happens to be older than, uummmm, errr, ahhh, ... only a bit younger than, aahhhhh. Ooh dang that means i am too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. BernieDawg Banned

Heya Ron
    Nice stove. Thanks for posting it.

I think I have your travel mug if it's the one with the arrow in this picture.
    1315783069-PW509_copy.jpg

I'll send it along with that special project I'm working on as soon as the special project is finished up.

Cheers,
    Gary

4. RonPH

Yup Gary that was mine. Must have left it in the bumper of my truck and forgot all about it and fell. When I got home I could not find it. No need to send that mug, just send it to the recyclers. Less postage :content:

Ron

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Running great Ron.

Duane

6. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Looking good, and it ran real good too! Some mighty fine chow was produced on that beast!!!
    =P~ =P~ =P~

7. nzmike

Loving the cast iron top! That would be nice to work on :thumbup: I do :mrgreen: like a nice suitcase!

8. dave w

i have one that is identical except the grate is steel

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

The advert below for a PW 509 is from 1939.
    The 509 was still being sold in 1940, so I suggest that the 509A is probably 1941 to 1943.

1406358742-PW_No509_1939.jpg