Prentiss-Wabers Auto Cook Kit #4

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by VooDuuChild, Mar 14, 2009.

1. VooDuuChild

This is another P-W from the 20's (I'm pretty sure, it's not in front of me to check). It's was previously re-painted before I got it and the only thing I've yet to fix on it is the generator. Other than that, it's a very nice unit that works, just not well, haha. Hope you enjoy the pics. Edit: I noticed that I forget to put the legs on it so it stands up, but they're there too.

1237148474-IMG_1507.jpg 1237148480-IMG_1509.JPG 1237148487-IMG_1510.jpg 1237148492-IMG_1511.jpg 1237148498-IMG_1512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

NICE--your lucky to come across one thats has been fixed up like that..i have one in the basement that i don't want to move around because it may fall apart--when you fire that up send more photos :D

3. hydro451

Hi VDC, nice looking stove - has the same burner manifold as my P/W 8, with pre-heat cup and sliding baffle to control aux . burner . Also the pre-heat system is cool ! I checked on Terry Marsh's site:

http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/stovepz.html

and they have a #4 pictured

Would be nice to see some pics of it running ?

You can use a rifle cleaning kit to clean out generator - I think the .273, .243 caliber brushes should be about right for this gen. ? But check to be sure

Cheers Tom

Cheers Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. VooDuuChild

As pretty as she is, the needle at the end of the generator is broken and MIA. I might rob a generator out of another stove, but that'd leave that one non-working too. Maybe I'll find a way to adapt a coleman generator to it. More stove pics are on the way, had to stop for the night last night as I get up at 1 am for work.

5. hydro451

Hi Voo Doo, I believe in my post about my P/W 8 I was told you could adopt a coleman 425 generator

"can tell you that the generator can be replaced with one from a Coleman 425. There is some minor modifying to get it to work, but it ain't much"

This quote is from "bikamper" so email him for specifics Cheers Tom

6. VooDuuChild

Actually yeah, I do remember having read somewhere about the Coleman 425...I'll have to pick one up and get it on there. Thanks for the compliments guys. We just don't see enough of the suitcase stoves on here....not that there is ANYTHING at all wrong with those pretty brass stoves!!!!! Can't wait to find one of those covered in dust, for cheap waiting for me to snag!!!!!

7. Lance

VDC where abouts is your hereabouts in the GNW. I'm from the North Seattle area myself. Might get a chance to plan a mini gathering with some of the NW Gang.

lance

8. VooDuuChild

I'm up in Arlington, top of a hill in the woods. For now anyhow, we're looking to buy something....although scary with the way things are looking, but better get on it, or we may soon lose the buyer's market....

9. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I just won one on Evilbay, $25, all parts there. We'll see next week. Good to know about the generator. No way looks as nice as the one here. Kinda grudgy, stained on the top. Looks cool though, like something that should have been in one of those Mad Max movies.:)

10. VooDuuChild

Cool, can't wait to see it up and running; or maybe even restored if that's the plan...

11. rr_res

Nice stove VooDuu,

Did you get it to burn yet? I read you talk about the needle being broken and using a 425 needle as replacement. The needle on mine broke also and I used a 425 needle and it works pretty good. It looks like mine broke because of a slightly bent generator tube, which causes the needle tip to rotate at an eccentric and get bound up at the gas tip. I had to scavenge it from both of my 425 ( I broke the replacement also) but you can order just the needle online. The threads don't match so I had to solder it on.

Would love to see your stove burning...