Prentiss Wabers Auto-Cook-Kit Model 4

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by rr_res, Jul 27, 2011.

1. rr_res

This stove was one of three that was given to me. Just recently finished cleaning and painting. Thanks to the members here for the ideas on how to make a new burner ring.

1311740162-model-4.jpg
    1311740446-burning-08.jpg 1311740202-ccs-photo-01.jpg 1311740209-ccs-photo-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout Subscriber

Outstanding! Love those PW stoves. Great restoration!

3. nzmike

Nice resto! :thumbup: I'm a sucker for a nice suitcase and that's an interesting one.

4. RonPH

Great restoration job :thumbup: Heavy metal for my taste though. I will stick to the coleman 425. Thanks for sharing pics.

Ron

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, rr_res,

WElcome to CCS, and WELL done on refurbishing that nice little PW stove!! I have a couple of those that are in need of such treatment, too, but I'm looking for a fuel cap for one of them before I get too carried away. Thanks for sharing your great refit with us, and good to have yet another Californian here at CCS! Give thought to joining a bunch of us up in Oregon, in late August/early September, for the first OSG (Oregon Stove Gathering)! If you like to camp, play with stoves, and hang out with crazy Stovies, then the OSG would be a perfect place for you!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. what paint did you use on that PW, if I might ask? And, where did you buy the paint? Thanks!

6. rr_res

Thanks all...

RonPH, I agree, it's heavy for such a small stove. The cast iron really weighs it down.

Doc Mark, thanks for the welcome. I saw another one of these stoves at the flea market and it has a fuel cap but the thumb screw has been modified with a bike pump valve. I didn't look closely at it so I'm not sure if the fuel cap can be restored to it's original shape. The rest of the stove was in horrible shape so it might be a candidate for a parts stove. I'll keep in mind to look at it closely if I run into the seller again.

Thanks for the invite to OSG. Highly doubtful I can make it this year...maybe next year.

Regarding the paint, I used Rustoleum Kona Brown. It changes color from dark brown to a vibrant maroon-brown depending on what light it's under. I think it looks closer to the original color when the stove is in the shade...

7. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi well done on a superb restoration job the end result is first class, i realy do like the flame pattern on this beautifull vintage stove a real classic and well done brining it bak to life

8. Sparky

Don't it look "MAH-vellous"!!!

9. hikin_jim

That's a beautiful restoration, and I think the color really works with that stove. Excellent job!

HJ

10. idahostoveguy

Fantastic work on that stove!

sam