Prentiss Wabers Kamp Kook Special Mod.6

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by coleman413c, Jun 21, 2018.

1. coleman413c

coleman413c Subscriber

I got this stove back in 2013. It was sent to me as a gift, more or less. The gent who owned it had written Terry Marsh, who in turn, copied me the email. The owner had obtained this stove and while the brass plaque did say Prentiss Wabers, no model number was listed, as was the norm for PW back then.

Stove was a small 2-Brnr with the same style burners as the Mod. 2 & 3 PW stoves, utilizing a skate key to operate the burners. We had determined that it was of 1922-1924 vintage due to the burner/skate set-up with fuel tank mounted on the left. Stove is actually smaller than the Model 2 with 6" grates.

No air pressure gauge was on the tank, stove didn't have any wind screens, grate looked very much like a homemade set-up, was a one piece affair that lifted up and the stove lid slid back along grooves factory stamped on the upper sides of the stove body. Lid utilized an L-shape bracket which both slid under the stove when the lid was slid forward to cover the burners, securing it and when the lid was slid back, served as a support bracket to keep lid even to place pots on it.

I could not, for the life of me, determine the model number. I had never seen a PW stove like this one. No adverts, no anything showing this particular stove. I have searched off and on for over 5 years trying to find anything on it to no avail. Since then, I have seen two others come up, identical to the one I have.

Well, not quite a month ago, someone on eBay had offered up a page from a 1923 hardware store catalogue and it showed this very stove. I literally stumbled upon that sale and was shocked to see that stove, knowing my search was finally over.

The page lists this stove as a "Kamp Kook Special Mod. 6", made by Prentiss Wabers. It is a very low end economy model, $2.00 cheaper than the next one up, being the Model 2, which was a lot of money back then. A no frills stove. Primitive looking yet robust, as was typical for PW.

Stove made Terry Marsh's hall of fame of stoves. Here are some pix of it. Other than a minor cleaning to remove some grime and grease, I didn't do any restoration to it, electing to keep it in an "as found" condition. I did lightly steel wool the brass ID tag to make it more legible. Stove came with its original funnel but no air pump. Hopefully, someone out there has a spare one they would sell me.

Joe Pagan

DSC03010.JPG

DSC03011.JPG

DSC03012.JPG

DSC03013.JPG

DSC03017.JPG

DSC03025.JPG

DSC03018.JPG

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Beautiful

3. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Unique burner arrangement. I see there is no generator. How does one prime the stove?

Mike

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A fine stove and very rare.

Where is the model number printed/stamped?

I have a lot of PW adverts, but none for this stove.
    Did you buy or copy the advert on eBay?

5. coleman413c

coleman413c Subscriber

Mike: there is a preheat cup under the fuel valves. Main burner head is the generator, which is hard to believe. Fuel line goes into back of burner on bottom, which then flows into the brass tee that holds the fuel valves. When valve is opened, fuel is sprayed into a hole on left lower portion in front of burner casting, in turn leads up into top of burner head.

Believe me, it takes a LOT of preheating to get burner head hot enough to vaporize the fuel properly. I cheat, I use a torch! But one still needs a lot of patience with these things.

Trevor: PW didn't put model numbers on their stoves until around 1925 to maybe 1926. One could only go by what was advertised or from the salesman at that time. And yes, a very rare PW stove model for that particular vintage.

I did buy the page from that eBay seller. I have scanned it and will try and upload it for yours and others benefits. Back page has parts lists for a few AGM camp stoves.

Scan_20180621 (4).jpg Scan_20180621 (3).jpg

Joe Pagan

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

@coleman413c

Thanks for publishing the two pages of the hardware catalogue.
    You were very lucky spotting your stove in the advert.
    There are other very interesting items in that advert.
    I will also publish the pages in the catalogues section of the Stove Reference Library.

I am sorry for asking where the model number was on the stove, because you had already explained it and with a bit more thought, I already knew it!
    Looking at things afresh today your name nagged at my brain, and then the light dawned. Joe, you are one of the 'gurus' on Prentiss-Wabers!
    On my computer I have your explanations on early Prentiss-Wabers stoves.

My respects,
    Trevor