Prentiss-Wabers Model 1 - Help Establishing Market Value For a Museum Donation

Discussion in 'Valuations' started by baumgrenze, Feb 18, 2021.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Subscriber

In 2019 I created the post linked below:

Prentiss Wabers Model 1

Time got short for us as we moved cross country to Charlottesville, Virginia, to a retirement community. We donated this stove and stand to Palo Alto's Museum of American History.

We'd appreciate the help of the Classic Camp Stoves community in estimating the fair market value for tax purposes. If one of you had these items as 'excess' in a collection, what would you ask a fellow collector for them as an honest value price?

thanks,
    baumgrenze

2. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Subscriber

That looks much better.

Thank you very much.

Now all I need is for someone way more experienced than me to supply the information I need.

Stay safe,
    baumgrenze

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

4. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Subscriber

Hello snwcmpr

I, too, was once a snow camper, but that was back in the early 70's.

Here is the information I thought I was referring to in my OP.

We'd appreciate the help of the Classic Camp Stoves community in estimating the fair market value for tax purposes. If one of you had these items as 'excess' in a collection, what would you ask a fellow collector for them as an honest value price?​

I hope it wasn't offensive behavior that I made of gift of the stove and stand to a local museum. With hindsight I understand that it might be in that it is one less item for a collector to restore.

I tried selling on CL for a while at $60 and was offered $20 which the potential customer then lowered to $5. I was offended and made a donation of it. I do not find the name of the person inquiring on the member list here.

The OP contains a link to images of the stove and stand (patented in San Francisco in 1927.) It is a clever piece that collapses into a very small space. I did work on that until it could be opened completely.

The images are here:

Prentiss Wabers Model 1

thanks,
    baumgrenze

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Valuation is difficult at best. Shipping a big stove will be sometimes as much as the cost. Depending on the buyer I would like to think 200 would be a high limit not including shipping, but that would be someone with the strong desire for that stove.
    Others might differ.

CL is not a good way to value an item. That will always be a low price valuation.

Past ebay sales are a good way.