Prentiss Wabers Model 1

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by baumgrenze, Jun 8, 2019.

1. baumgrenze

I inherited this 3-burner Prentiss Wabers Model 1 from my late neighbor, Mac. His family moved from Denver to Palo Alto when Jane Lathrop Stanford hired his grandfather, John D. McGilvray, to build Stanford University for her. I helped his executrix to clean out the garage and workshop outbuildings and had a 'first crack' at old tools and the like.
    IMG_8520_Sel_PW#1onStand.jpg

Here's a closeup of the nameplate on the front of the case. It shows that it is brass plated steel and not solid brass as the ends have rusted. Also, as you can see, the carry-handle got knocked off years ago.
    IMG_8519_Sel_PW#1_Nameplate.jpg

Here's a view from the tank end. Clearly the tank is brass, it is not paramagnetic. The valve handle turns readily. The lens on the pressure gauge is long gone and the gauge is full of dust.
    IMG_8522_Sel_PW#1TankEnd.jpg
    Here's the pump. I forgot to see if it is paramagentic but it looks like it might have rusted, too. Clearly it needs new leathers.
    IMG_8524_Sel_PW#1PumpDetail.jpg

The stand that I found with the stove has uprights that hold the cover to make a table when it is folded in and then back, suggesting that it was made for the stove.
    IMG_8525_Sel_PW#1ScreenAsTable.jpg IMG_8526_Sel_PW#1ScreenAsTableEnd.jpg

Here's the stand without the stove. It folds to only slightly larger than the 4 angle iron legs. It took a bit of effort to loosen it up so that it would unfold completely, but it is working again now. The label clearly reads that it was made in San Francisco (no surprise), that it was called a 'Hand Stand', and perhaps that the brand name was Stanford. Has anyone seen one before?

IMG_8530_Sel_StoveStand.jpg IMG_8513_Sel_StoveStandLabel.jpg

Does this version pre-date or post-date the ones I've seen with spiders over the burners?

It looks like one posted early last year. This one has some of its original paint, an olive drab as far as I can tell.
    Prentiss Wabers Auto Cook KIt Model #1

After over 50 years in the house, it is time to downsize. This looks like a project I will probably pass on to someone younger with more years left during which to procrastinate. What is the best way to safely put it into the marketplace? Are there simple steps I could take to better define how tough a job it would be to restore it to a) functioning, and b) factory condition?

thanks,
    baumgrenze

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

8]

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Thank you for posting it.