Prentiss-Wabers Model 1

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Keith Rundquist, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Keith Rundquist

[​IMG]
    I'm looking at this stove, but I can't find any info on it here or on the Terry Marsh site linked to CCS. The TM site shows a Model 1 Auto Cook Kit with what appears to be a cast grate not the wire grate on this one. Does that make this rare or just old?

2. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Super neat old stove. I can't answer you questions really, but less-expensive versions of stoves often had the wire grate.

It is rare, not because of the grate, just because of what it is. BUY IT

3. OMC

OMC Subscriber

"Looking" as in looking online ("considering" buying it?) ... looking at it in front of you? or?

Finding "info" for old camp stoves is often a challenge, CCS is the online reference for stovies.

As an aside I was confused by: ".. Terry Marsh site linked to CCS" but beside the point.

Does the wire grate make yours
    rare?
    old?

If I consider the 9 examples, 1 on Marsh site, 7 in the gallery and yours.
    There are 3 types of grates
    1 CAST on marsh site
    1 CAST & SHEET Sam's
    7 WIRE grates, so called. 2 are Model 1As btw

Among the above No.1s it seems the WIRE grate makes it neither more rare nor earlier.

Although Sam wondered if his might be early / earliest version (around early to mid 1920s).
    In fairness, he wasn't sure nor was he comparing it to the
    No.1 example on Marsh site with dating est. : 1926/27.
    Of the 2 I have a theory / guess which came earlier but like Sam I do not know.
    At any rate with above 9 examples, it seems to me anyway those with "WIRE" grate would be later (vs earlier).

EDIT Keith suggests price point, wire grate version available at lower price.
    "CAST" being a higher price point. I confess I have no idea on that front however that would help explain
    puzzling different grates :-k
    at times and not only re this model.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. Keith Rundquist

Yes, I'm looking to buy it, but I'm not ready to spend $100 unless I know it's worth it. The Terry Marsh site came up as I was searching for info, but now I can't find the link. Oh well. We'll see how long it hangs around on the listing. Going out of state today, so I'll have to shop elsewhere!

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Looks a little like the hinge area is designed for the wire grate. If looking for correct setup, if not sure and you want all parts to be correct or early vs later model then pass unless it speaks to you.
    Duane

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I would ask for closer photos. Especially photos of the hinges and the lable. Also pictures of the back and bottom.
    That picture does not show well enough, on this website, to see the condition.
    It might be a rare model. Seems there are later stoves with cast grates.

7. Keith Rundquist

[​IMG]

Got some more pictures of the Model 1. Looks very complete with a pump (with a knob), funnel, box for the pump, a pump-looking item with a ring handle (suction tool?), the gauge even appears good, but the "patch" around the fuel valve on the tank looks sketchy at best. Is that a deal breaker? If not what resources are there for parts/seals for an old veteran like this?

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

The external pump is placed in the hole on the bung on the right after the knurled part is unscrewed a little to allow air to be pumped in. It may or may not need attention.
    Duane

9. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

The bung probably leaked, thus the mess. Not a deal breaker for me, but we are all different. You could leave it, or remove the solder and try to do a nicer looking repair. I'm sure it's brass, so it wont be rusted.

SOme of their pumps had a "ring" on the end of shaft, is just a pump I'm sure.

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I've removed the end cap on my similar model to solder a minor leak, but never could get it to stay fixed if I pumped up the tank on a flat surface, I had to set the tank in place in the stove then pressurize it.
    Duane