Prentiss Wabers Model 2 1922-1924.

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by Doc Mark, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

I have had an old PW stove for several years, and found it at a swap meet in San Diego, for just a few bucks, $20, if memory serves.

After recent discussions with coleman413C (Joe Pagan), I believe that it dates to the 1922-1924 period, and as I've never seen another like it, think it might be somewhat on the rare side.

It measures 16" wide x 5 1/4" high x 10 1/2" deep, and it's burners are 1 7/8" across at the widest part. The tank is on the left side and has a pressure gauge, and it has legs that are removable and slide into slots on the bottom of the case. Both cast iron burners are connected by a curved tube, and the regulating key is like a clock or skate key, with a hex hole in the center of the flat handle, and connects to the two regulating spindles, both of which are side by side by side and in the front/left of the stove.

At some time in the past, some idiot painted the entire stove, fuel tank (which might be brass), instructions, and all, in a "coleman-looking" (but not really) green paint. But, even though it's dirty, and in need of restoration, I want to undertake this task, and bring it back to life. It came with it's key, which is on a chain, a funnel, the four legs, and a pump, which is the wrong pump for the stove, but it is missing it's fuel cap.

I have taken some photos of the stove, and am posting them here, so you all can see what I have found. I also saw the photo of a stove that looks similar to mine, on Terry Marsh's fine site, and one here at CCS, belonging to Idahostoveguy (Sam), which looks very similar to mine, but I think his is a tad older, by a few years.

In any case, here is how mine is labeled on it's front plate:

- Prentiss Wabers

- Manufacturer

- Auto Kamp Kook Kits

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Can't see much else, as the label needs some cleaning, and a new background paint job. and, after all that, here are the photos, which I will let speak for themselves.

1310572881-DSCN0575.JPG

1310572911-DSCN0577.JPG

1310572936-DSCN0578.JPG

1310572977-DSCN0580.JPG

1310573016-DSCN0581.JPG

1310573042-DSCN0582.JPG

1310573085-DSCN0583.JPG

1310573134-DSCN0585.JPG

1310573182-DSCN0586.JPG

1310573215-DSCN0587.JPG

1310573248-DSCN0588.JPG

Well, there you have it, folks. The stove, whilst quite filthy, is in very good condition, and is solidly built. After my discussions with Joe, I believe that the original color was something akin to dark mahogany brown, but am still looking for more info on that. I will add new photos as work begins on this old PW Model 2. Thanks for checking out my stove, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

P.S. The "church key" resting on top of this stove in one of the photos, was found inside the case when I bought it. It was obviously left there by some subsequent owner of this stove, and it's fun to have. I shall "restore" that, too, as it's rusty on one side, and use it in good health!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Doc, that would clean up nicely when you have the time to do it :thumbup: Good luck finding the tank cap for the stove.

Ron

3. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Doc well there on a awsome score for just a few bucks you have a very old and i agree a rare stove,i am looking forward to you restoring it back to it's former glory with your skills it is going to look superb and will work a treat

4. idahostoveguy

Hi Doc!

Beautiful stove, even though it is green and a little dusty. The green paint may have served to preserve your antiquity over the many years it has existed. The grates and the rest of the cast iron implements looks to be in very good condition along with what looks like the original key for the burner control. Nice!

I'm in the same boat with the tank cap too on TWO of these. I'd like to show off mine, but I want to wait until the fettling is complete. Of course, it will be nice to see yours go through the motions so I can watch and learn from your fine skills!

Well, thanks for the post of your excellent find and the great bargain you got it for!

sam

5. nzmike

Interesting thing, Doc! I'm loving the cast burning rings and independent burners, unlike Colemans. I'm pretty sure I've never seen one like it here. :thumbup:

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

I found this in another post to a CCS Mate, and want to see if I can copy it to my own post, too, as it is pertinent to the "progress" on this stove.

Hey, Sam,

I was looking around in the Reference Gallery, and took another look at your great post about this early stove. I have one like it, but from a tad latter, say 1924-1925, or so. Mine came with the funnel, and legs, plus something that looked like a bicycle pump part. After seeing your post again, I see that what I have is most, if not all, of the original odd-ball pump, just like yours, missing only the finger grabbing bit!!! I am also missing the fuel cap, which is the huge fly in the ointment!! AARRGGGGHHHH!! But, thanks for you, my good friend, I now know what that gizmo is that came with my old PW stove!! Thanks a ton!! Now, if I could only find a proper fuel tank cap.....!! :-k :-k :doh: :doh: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The rubber hose was actually threaded inside the metal tube, and only giving in to my curiosity is what allowed me to find it and remove it from the metal housing. Sorry for the poor photos. I have to get back to work, and was in a big hurry to take them! :oops: :oops: ;) :content:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey, it worked!! Now, there's one more bit of info that I want to take onto this post, when, and IF I can find it. More, later..... Hopefully!!

Doc

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, All.

And.... here's the info I wanted to share here. It was in a post by VooDuuChild. Regarding the proper fuel cap for my #3, and also getting detritus out of the burners, I wrote:

"As it turned out, one of the very kind Gentlemen over on the Coleman Collector's Forum sent me a proper cap for my PW #3, and it worked like a champ. I've got the stove up and running, and the second burner being close to perfect. The first burner, unfortunately, has some soft fivers deep inside the proprietary steel "jet", and so far, I cannot get them to come out, completely! I've tried soaking it in Coleman fuel, and picking at the "stuff" from behind, with a dental tool. Got quite a bit of it out, but there still remains enough that the burner fires up, then clogs very soon thereafter. I'm tempted to remove the twin "jets", and hit both of them with a torch, heating and quenching, until the rest of that fuzz comes out." (@MrAlexxx , you might find this helpful, or at least interesting, as it appears you are currently going through the same problem I had.)

And, last, and certainly not least, here is a page that @coleman413c posted here, which firmly establishes that my old PW is NOT a #2, but rather it's contemporary, the #3!! Many thanks for Joe for having shared that info here!!

[​IMG]

I wonder if I could get one of our excellent Moderators to change the title of my thread on this stove? I'll check dates, and then ask for that bit of help, if it can be done. Less confusion for those who are searching for good information! Huge thanks to @coleman413c , @VooDuuChild, @idahostoveguy, and all others to post excellent information here at CCS!! MUCH appreciated!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. If you can't see it, my stove is the second one down from the top, left hand side of the page. And, now, I also know what color this stove was supposed to be, so I can eventually get rid of that horrid rattle can green paint, and return the stove back to something closer to proper!! YAY!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018