1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prentiss Wabers Model 2

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by seavandal, Jan 1, 2017.

1. seavandal United States

The stove bug started biting a couple of days ago after reviving and lighting several stoves and lanterns that I have. I decided to check Craigslist for any interesting stoves or lanterns that I may find. This Prentiss Wabers 2 came up and I had to check it out. I finally met the guy yesterday and looked it over. It was in good shape and seemed to have all of the parts including a partial box. Bought it!

I cleaned it up today and fired it up. I used Denatured Alcohol to pre-heat it. Lots of yellow flame and a little bit of a roar came out of it. Nothing exploded! That's good! I let it go for a few minutes and put the burner in the stove. I let it heat for awhile. Light smoke started to come out of the folded seams, cracks, and corners throughout the stove (Ghosts from its past life?). When the whisps of smoke cleared, I boiled a pot of water and played with the burners.

The fuel valve for the main burner took getting used to. A small incremental turn made a big difference in the flame size. Also, I had to wait for a while to see what the effect was after turning the knob. It took a few seconds for the change in fuel mixture to reach the other side of the super long generator. I finally got the hang of it.

The stove has certainly seen lots of miles on it. If only these stoves could talk! The only remedy to make this stove look new would be to repaint it. That's not going to happen. It will match my cast iron pan perfectly!

I have some observations regarding this stove: It is a model 2 with "PAT APPLD. FOR" on the badge. Wisconsin Rapids is the address on the badge. It has a skate key. It has cast iron grates surrounded by a galvanized stove top. The tank is on the left. There is a pressure gauge (still working!) on the tank. All of the rest of the stove parts look similar to the other Model 2's that I have seen.

So, I have to ask a few questions for you Prentiss Waber fans. Why is it patent applied for? Why cast iron grates rather than a wire grate? I think this stove might be from 1924 or 1925 due to the address. The cast iron grates and the fuel tank on the left also give clues to the age.

One curious thing I noticed is that just one of the burners has three small holes on top right under the generator. I'm not sure where this burner should go... on the left or the right or does it matter?

I took some pictures of it for reference. What, if anything, can I use to shine this stove up? It seems that any wax would burn off. Maybe you stovies have a secret sauce that you put on your working stoves to make them look as good as they perform. Thanks for your comments!

Chris

20170101_111916.jpg

20170101_111457.jpg 20170101_111926.jpg 20170101_111940.jpg 20170101_112111.jpg 20170101_112142.jpg 20170101_112526.jpg 20170101_114735.jpg

2. bem1965

bem1965 Sweden Subscriber

Hi Chris,

My secret sauce is Ballistol......

Personally I would try to keep that beauty as she is! To arrest further rust you could just keep moisture away from it.

Since it is your stove to do whatever you wish with. You could also take it apart and grind it down to bare metal, prime and paint, shine the brass so it looks like brand new.
    Decades of patina and history can be stripped away in a few hours.

My stoves get more or less the same treatment as my other outdoor metal implements (guns, tools, bikes etc). After use, I clean them and dry them. Before storing I wipe all surfaces with a rag that is damp with Ballistol.

Painted surfaces I wax, I used to use the same wax as for the car, but since I started using beeswax for all else I use it for stoves also. Wax and oil burns away but it is easily reapplied, that stove will probably look the same for decades if you do nothing at all and just use and enjoy it.

I expect someone will chime in with more knowledge about your stove!

Best wishes for the new year!

/Lars

3. seavandal United States

Thanks Lars for the advice! I will leave this one original since it looks old, just as it should. I restore old camping trailers and I tell people that you can sure restore the vintage right out of the trailer. Best to clean what's there and leave it! I haven't heard of Ballistol but I will check it out. Gracias!

4. snwcmpr United States

Wisconsin Rapids rather than Grand Rapids helps provide an 'after' date. Forgot the year.
    The extra holes under the 'Main' burner are to keep the generator hot during simmering.
    Nice stove.

There is a lot to read about PW here and the coleman collectors forum.

Ken in NC

5. seavandal United States

Thanks Ken. Sounds like the three holes burner needs to be swapped around to become the main burner. You're absolutely right about PW info on this site. I have been reading for hours! I still have more to go and maybe find the answers to the questions I have above. Cheers! Chris

6. snwcmpr United States

Yeah, when reading here I have to take breaks to eat meals and actually talk to other people. :)