Prentiss Wabers Model No. 3 - Early 1920s

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by idahostoveguy, Aug 16, 2014.

1. idahostoveguy

Here's a Prentiss Wabers Model No. 3 from the early 1920s. It seems to be in decent shape.

1408166431-PrentissWabersNo3_1.jpg

You'll notice that the label doesn't have the model number stamped on it. That is typical on these early Prentiss Wabers stoves. Neither of my model number 4 stoves have the model number, nor does my number 2, which probably suggest they are all of the same vintage. Once the model numbers were stamped on the label, a new dynasty occurs. Even the model numbers give away some of the clues to their history. Most had single or double digits, followed, sometimes, by a letter 'A' to denote a new version of that model. Later generations have three and four digit model numbers, while even later generations have letters and dashes in the model numbers.

As for the control key, I guess the control key stays with these models since they are riveted on both ends of the chain. Also, you can't close the case unless the key is put inside of the case.

1408166465-PrentissWabersNo3_2.jpg 1408166489-PrentissWabersNo3_3.jpg 1408166501-PrentissWabersNo3_4.jpg 1408166527-PrentissWabersNo3_5.jpg 1408166548-PrentissWabersNo3_6.jpg 1408166563-PrentissWabersNo3_7.jpg 1408167166-PrentissWabersNo3_8.jpg 1408167182-PrentissWabersNo3_9.jpg 1408167893-PrentissWabersNo3_10.jpg 1408167920-PrentissWabersNo3_11.jpg 1408167934-PrentissWabersNo3_12.jpg 1408167953-PrentissWabersNo3_13.jpg 1408167966-PrentissWabersNo3_14.jpg 1408167981-PrentissWabersNo3_15.jpg

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. 1966dave

That is a very nice example. I recently acquired the same model with one difference...no wind shields. Terry Marshs site states that this model was made 1922-24. My assumption is that that stoves without the windshields were most likely the earlier model as I cannot think why a company would ever remove them as an item. Does the premiss hold water?

Dave

3. idahostoveguy

Yeah, the early models, No. 2 and 4 (single burner), for sure did not have the wind shields and some just were a lid that came off. It's quite possible yours is an early model since that fits in with the others. I've never seen a model 3 without them.

It would be nice to see you post yours in the gallery to have a look. I like seeing these old geezers - the older the better!

sam

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Sam,

Excellent example of that lovely stove, and in good knick, too! Did yours come with it's proprietary pump? If not, I remember that you already have one that should work a treat with your stove!

As you know, I'm working on getting my own stove like yours up and running, and am now waiting for a fuel cap to make it so. One thing on which I'm a bit confused, is the correct model number of your stove and mine. I had been told that mine, which is the same as yours, was a Model 2, dating between 1922-1924, because of it's 6" grates. If they had been 8", then the stove would be a Model 3, according to Joe Pagan. Mine has 6" grates, and it looks like yours does, too, but I can't tell for sure. What do they measure? More information comes out, all the time, thanks to Joe, you, and many others, who share ad info, and stove dating data, when it's found! So, I could be wrong about my own stove. What are your thoughts about that, Sam? Thanks for any info you can send my way, and again, thanks for sharing your new PW stove(s) with us all! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

5. idahostoveguy

Hi Mark,

I could be wrong on that, but I believe the model 3 stoves were designed with a valve control key, while the model 2 stove had the built-in wagon wheel controls. On Terry Marsh's web site, there is a model 2 and model 3 each with their respective designs:

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/stoveip.htm

If yours does not have the wind shields then it is probably earlier than mine. I'm guessing it is the green painted stove at the bottom of this post:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/17419

Have a great day!

sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, Sam,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, my old PW is, indeed, the "green" one that some fool painted (including the instructions, which were pasted underneath the top cover!) Mine definitely has windscreens, and a key that is a bit different than yours. Don't know which is older, but my pump is different than the one that you have with another of your PW stoves, and maybe this stove is older than mine. Don't know. When I get what I am expecting, this coming week, maybe I can take better photos and post them. Then, maybe Joe can help both of us better understand what models we have, and which is older. May turn out that they are both contemporary with one another, too. So much to learn, and not enough years left to do it all! ;) :lol: :lol: Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

7. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

A real beauty Sam, does it make fire yet?
    Jan