Prentiss Wabers model P4821

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by krankiev, Jul 18, 2021.

1. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Picked up this stove at a car show yesterday. I had a preway model 401 quite some time ago. However sadly, I was a teenager and I busted the thing and scrapped it. I know better now, and as soon as I saw another wedgie for sale, I was right on top of it. Got this bad boy for ten bones even though the price sticker said 20. I brought it home, oiled the pump cup, poured some gas in and lit it up. The fuel valve turned real hard, and it bound up occasionally. She also flooded pretty bad. Once it was hot it ran well. Lit it two or three times. Then I took the generator apart and cleaned all the hard carbonized gunk out. Now, the knobs turn freely. I even had to tighten up the packing on the fuel valve a bit. I'm still getting some strange behavior out of the fuel valve like it's partially clogging up. I can hear stuff rattling in the tank so I know it needs a good cleaning.

The other issue is that the tank loses pressure over night. Any hints on checking out the NRV and finding a replacement gasket for where the pump tube seals in the fuel fill opening? I haven't had much luck finding any parts just yet. Thanks in advance. 20210716_215841.jpg 20210716_214612.jpg 20210716_215719.jpg 20210716_214713.jpg 20210716_215716.jpg

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

For the pump tube seal, a oring should work fine. You can try to remove the C\V to clean it, not sure of its style and how to proceed.
    Duane

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Probably needs a fuel cap gasket.

4. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Duane, I'll try an O-ring if I must, however I would much prefer the correct flat faced, square cut gasket.

5. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Check Old Coleman Parts for gaskets.

6. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Even for a Prentiss Wabers stove? Alright, I'll look on there. Thanks.

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I found the recent upgrade at OCP wasn't that friendly. The other parts part wasn't there anymore unless inbetween changes. ?
    Duane
    PS: There some PW washers there, I've ordered a few a couple times. Also, if push comes to shove, can try The oring store.

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I think I figured out the new home page for OCP. Across the bottom are a few options, click on "catalog", then other brand parts.
    Duane

9. cottage hill bill

There is a brand new owner at OCP. He's still getting his feet under him so if you don't see what you need send him a message through the contact feature on the website.

10. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Thanks all.

I've had a little bit more time to fiddle with the stove now. The check valve is certainly leaking. The pump sometimes backs out on its own from the pressure. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. I guess I need to figure out how to replace the rubber tip on the pintle, or somehow get an entire new pintle for it.

The things rattling inside the tank turned out to be globs of solder. I guess someone has repaired this tank before. I'll have to pressurize it and place under water to assess the leakage. There is a small crack in the end cap of the tank. This is where I assume a previous owner was soldering on it. For safety's sake, I feel like I should pull the whole end off the tank, clean it up and braze it back on for more strength. That is, unless I come across an entire tank in decent condition instead. I find it strange that the tank is so rough when the body of the stove looks so good. 20210718_191512.jpg

11. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Duane, the check valve has a sort of T shaped pintle pin with what appears to be a Buna-N disc somehow attached to the brass pin on the sealing side. I'm not sure if it's just glued or what, however it appears this rubber disc or the entire pintle needs to be replaced.

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Pip.
    Duane

13. BradB

My 4821 has a pip on the NRV. I used an Optimus one on all three of my PW stoves, which I bought from the Fettlebox here on CCS. They seem a perfect fit and all are working. My 4521A had a pump that stood proud when I got it, but the pip replacement fixed that. Brad

14. cottage hill bill

Yup, pump backing out is a sure sign of leaking NRV. For what it's worth the tanks were soft soldered. Maybe remove the end cap of the tank, drill a small hole to stop the crack and braze the crack then soft solder the cap back in place. If you try to braze the end back on to the tank you may find other soft solder joints on the tank failing.

15. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Thanks, I'm not familiar with buying from there, but I'll try to figure it out. The NRV seals sometimes and other times it doesn't seal

16. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

I like this idea a lot. I think that's how I will go about repairing the tank. If it wasn't so thin, I would just go ahead and MIG weld the crack up, however that would likely end up doing more harm than good. It's a shame too, since I just got a new machine haha 20210715_104130.jpg

17. krankiev

krankiev Subscriber

Is this the pip you used, Bradb? Screenshot_20210720-220215_Brave.jpg

18. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Sometimes the pip will hang up or the spring will hang up. Used stove, good idea to service it. Those are what you need.
    Duane

19. BradB