Prentiss Wabers No.9

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by rbhodges, Dec 29, 2013.

1. rbhodges

I've been pining for one of these stoves for some time now. They are as much to look at as they are to cook on. Form and function. These stoves are remarkably simple to run, and there are no air gas instant lighting systems clog up. Simply flood the the preheat pan with fuel and light, just before the pan burns out, open the fuel valve, and its up and ready to cook.

This Preway No.9 was a bit of a project when I got it. The whole thing had been coated in paint to the point where it had been rendered nonfunctional, and the entire thing needed to be stripped and cleaned before any repairs could start. After the thing was striped of its I'm sure well intended, coats of paint. I found a stove in fairly good shape. The only problem was a split generator tube. The gas tip and metering rod were in fine shape. A new wire coil was obtained from a Coleman 225 gen, and a new generator tube was made of brass on my lathe.

Apart from the repairs needed, and a new coat of paint. These stoves were well made and robust. So much so that I’d like to pack this one up, and along with LQ for light. take it camping. Enjoy the pics

Rick

1388289640-IMG_2281_opt_5.jpg

1388289569-IMG_2280_opt_1.1.jpg 1388289590-IMG_2272_opt_1.jpg 1388289605-IMG_2286_opt_2.jpg 1388289618-IMG_2285_opt_3.jpg 1388289628-IMG_2283_opt_4.jpg 1388289657-IMG_2271_opt_6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

nice work!do you have much of a problem getting the external pump to work,that is closing the valve on the tank after using the pump and not loosing air.

3. rbhodges

Not really, the check valve in the cap does leak a bit, but not so fast that it's hard to deal with.

Rick

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Rick, you've done a great job on this one, looks very nice!
    The only problem with these (and others) is the small size pots one needs to use but then again they were not intended for big parties but the average American family. The only difference I can spot between your N°9 and my N°8 is yours has a cast grate, mine came with the "folded rod" one. So, I guess yours is the Grand Luxe model then? ;) :lol:
    Very well made stoves, reliable and simple in use. Let's go camping! 8)

Best regards,

Wim

5. rbhodges

The No.9 is a bit longer. Perhaps as much as three inches. The burner is a longer casting as well. I really like these stoves, and be looking for a No.8 to ad to the collection.

Rick

6. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

really nice job, what color did you re paint it. I think mines a #4
    Jan

7. rbhodges

Its Krylon olive green satin. It matched the color that I found under the ID tag very well.

Rick

8. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

Rick, thanks on the color, is that 1 of the Camo colors?
    Jan