Prentiss Wabers Preway 438-P Hotplate

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by Bob M, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Bob M

This Prentiss Wabers Preway 3 burner hotplate was built somewhere around 1938. This is a catalog image from then showing this stove.
    1255304063-Prentiss_Wabers_438-P_Hot_Plate_Catalog_Image_opt.jpg

It was pretty rough when I got it. Lots of rust. The burners had to be boiled in citric acid to clean them.
    1255304262-Prentiss_Wabers_438-P_As_Found_opt_1_.jpg

1255304413-P-W_3_burner_preheater_burner_opt.jpg
    But they cleaned up and were clear coated with VHT 2000 degree clear.
    1255304573-Finished_burners_1_opt.jpg
    I wanted to see if it was going to work before I had the case sand blasted. It lit off like a dream!
    1255304714-Center_burner_and_Preheat_burner_opt.jpg
    1255304776-First_burn_ALL_lit_opt.jpg
    1255304839-Outside_burners_and_Preheat_burner_opt.jpg
    The controls are pretty straight forward. A master fuel control valve in the lower right of the front also works like an "instant light" lantern valve. That feeds the generator valve which act as the flame level control. It feeds the 4 ceramic burners under the generator. Half turn poppet valves open and close to feed gas to the burners. The self contained brass air pump is robust. You start it up with about 30 psi on the gauge. Once it's running you pump it up to about 45 psi.
    1255305328-Main_and_Generator_valve__Burner_valves_opt.jpg
    1255305470-Controls_Gauge_and_Fill_opt.jpg
    So once it proved to be a runner the cosmetics began. The case was sand blasted and primed. I found a source for the Kennedy Tool Box wrinkle brown paint. Who would have thought that painting a WRINKLE finish would be a PITA? Well, it sure is! But it turned out OK. I have a BIG Griswold griddle that fits it like it was made for it. So that's about it. Stoves are a labor of love.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

very impressive bit of work,where did you come up with something like that?.i see they call it a hot plate so i assume for for the cafe trade.

3. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Bob: Very nice work on an uncommon stove. Mike...

4. VooDuuChild

Dayum,another PW that I don't own.....yet....unless of course Doc beats me to it...

Vuurrrrrry Nice..!!!!

5. Bob M

Hi Dave, Ironically I got it off EBay from a seller right here in Rochester. I was the only bidder. I think this was P-W's version of a Coleman 3 burner cabin stove. It's not what you'd call "portable" at 66 lbs. Some solid brass trunk handles may be in its future to lift and carry it.

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

maybe off a boat on the Erie Canal..i know Rochester a bit,thats a nice part of NY.

7. luvmystoves

My Mom cooked on a stove like this when I was born in 1934. Prolly was an earlier model but looked just like Bob's.

Norm