1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prentiss Wabers Single Burner - Model 3? - 1921 (or ealier)

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by snwcmpr, May 15, 2015.

1. snwcmpr United States

Here is a Prentiss Wabers single burner. Possibly a Model 3. Dated 1921 or possibly earlier.
    1431654397-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__1_.JPG
    Wagon Wheel style fuel control, fuel tank on the left side (outside of stove), mounting method of tank to stove, the presence of legs and top lid, label with "Wisconsin Rapids" not "Grand Rapids", round tank, help to date this stove.

There are a few photos of the PW single burners on Terry Marsh's website.
    (Scroll down to view PW stoves)

Some differences are:
    The fuel tank on my stove is round, not half round like the similar stove seen on Terry Marsh's website. The screws are also on the front of the stove, as they are on my stove.
    The Model 2 on Terry Marsh's website, quoted here, has the screws on the front of the stove. This is different than the other PW 1 burner stoves.

From Terry Marsh's website, a reference of the dating a stove by the city of manufacture on the label:
    Sam's PW single burner ...
    Link

Ian's PW single burner ...
    Link

Joe Pagan replied to Sam's posts.
    Link
    Link
    I believe my stove was painted at some time, as the paint around the cast iron burner frame seems to have been paint that is not made for high heat.

Ken in NC

Now, more photos of my stove.

1431654411-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__2_.JPG

1431654425-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__3_.JPG

1431654435-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__4_.JPG

1431654448-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__5_.JPG

1431654459-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__6_.JPG

1431654470-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__7_.JPG

1431654480-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__8_.JPG

1431654489-PW-Model3-SingleBurner__9_.JPG

2. 1966dave

:shock: WOW!!! :shock:

That is sweeeeeeet! When I found my 2 burner I knew I wanted a single...and look at that!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Really sweet, Ken! My other single burner PW is just like yours. Looks to be in great shape.

I really like the old PWs. They just had a unique design to them like no other.

sam

4. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

That a great find Ken

5. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Turkey Subscriber

And now - All You Need is "whelled box for this stove" - something as Ford "T" ...
    :)

6. snwcmpr United States

Do you mean like this?.... Link

Ken in NC

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Howdy, Ken,

WOW!! That is one fantastic PW stove, my friend!!! Well done in finding and scoring it, and many thanks for sharing it here!! I've always been open to finding such a stove out here, as I did find a 2-burner PW very similar to this one, many years ago. But, alas, so far, none has come to hand. Great to see you getting one, though, as it looks like a cracker jack of a stove!! Thanks, again, for posting it, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

8. snwcmpr United States

Thanks all of you.
    Ken in NC

9. snwcmpr United States

Update:
    I recently brought this stove along on my trip to a Coleman Collectors Forum meet in Georgia last week. I was using it quite a bit, no it wasn't the only vintage stove I brought. It was quite a hit with the members there.

I did notice that it has a tendency to underburn, loud notification of such, when left to simmer. I suspect this happens when the upper holes of the burner are not lit. Only a first observation, not conclusive. It was definitely warm and up to speed. Left to get HOT, it still did it when left on simmer. I would walk away, and then it would "Let Me Know".

Pressure was set to the red line, or close. Could simmer require a lower pressure???? That's a thought.

Ken in NC

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Ken, I am pleased that you resurrected this Prentiss Wabers thread.
    The naming of the stoves is made difficult for two main reasons.
    Firstly they seemed to name different later stoves with the same name as earlier stoves.
    Secondly, the PW adverts of the time often did not state the model numbers.
    The following advert from 1922 shows that the No.3 was a two burner stove with 8-inch grates, as opposed to the No.2 stove with two 6-inch grates.

PW_a.jpg

However, I agree that yours was most likely named a No.3 (i.e. a No.3 with one burner instead of a No.3 with two burners)
    But I am also positive that it is a 'Hunter's Special' - which is a great name to have.

The following adverts are from 1921.

PW_b.jpg PW_c.jpg

11. snwcmpr United States

That is so cool. More information is always good. I like those old ads.

Could the name "Hunters Special" be from a particular seller, as in a retail store, and not PW?

Joe Pagan is not sure, either, but thinks it is a 3, and possibly a 4. It is hard to know for sure.

Another detail noticed this last week. The label on this stove has Prentiss Wabers Stove Co. Not Prentiss Wabers Products Co.

12. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Hi Ken

I may be wrong, but I think that the early No.4 single burner with control wheel had a half-round fuel tank (as in Terry Marsh's site).

As for the advert, it seems to be a Prentiss Wabers advert.
    Here it is in full.

Prentiss-Wabers Advert 1921 A.jpg

13. snwcmpr United States

Yes, the early model had a half round tank ... Other than the half round tank, and the reference to Grand Rapids on the label, it is the same as mine.
    I have not seen one just like mine except for your ads. (Sam, show us your stove, please)

As I read this information more I see a contradiction I did not notice before.
    Terry Marsh, I assume, uses Joe Pagan's information.
    In a message to @idahostoveguy, quoted above, Joe Pagan believes the early single burner is a number 3 up to 1922 when it is changed to a number 4.
    Terry's website details the early stove as a number 4.

I am not sure if it is a number 3 or 4, I got a message from Joe today, he is not sure it is a number 3 either. he said don't hold me to that.
    I still believe it is 1921.
    Not earlier.... The half round tank and Grand Rapids reference.
    Not later.... The change to skate key.

Another detail I learned having the stove run a little while. That wagon wheel gets very hot.

@idahostoveguy told me he has one (two) just like mine. he said there will be photos soon.

Ken in NC

14. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

just a too cool stove, never seen 1 in person, just luv these old PW stoves

15. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

So, I dug this ad up with the model numbers in the text. The model 2 and 3 are both double burners and the text says the model 4 is a single burner. The ad doesn't show the tank for the single burner because it is an internal tank. The double burners both have half tanks. 1919 is the year. This is how I establish that the single burner is a #4 and the double burner with 6" grates is a #2 and the double burner with 8" grates is a #3. I have a #2 and two #3s at about the same years. I'll show those later. I don't think the #4 single burner was ever called a #3 since there were later model #3 double burners. But there are later model #4 double burners. Why Prentiss Wabers dropped the single burner, I don't know. I can only guess that the double burners were easier to use and maybe the price difference wasn't that much, and, you could store more utensils in a #2 or #3 easier. I have an ad (not shown) from 1916 showing the single burner of the same style and manufactured by Prentiss Wabers - Moats. E. C. Moats is the original inventor of these stoves. 1919AdPrentissWabersNo2-No4_low.jpg

Here's another ad below dated 1920, which uses the same pic for 1921 ads, just like Trevor has shown. The No. 4 single burner has morphed a little where there is a half tank mounted on the outside of the case and there is a white paper label and not a black brass label with brass lettering. The wagon wheel is repeated in this model. The ad doesn't say that it is a No. 4, but I assume it from the prior ad from 1919. They call it the "Hunter's Special". There is a stove owner on Coleman Collectors that has this very stove.

Ad1920No4-singleburner2b.jpg

Prentiss Wabers started using the metal labels in 1922 and skate keys, and stopped using the wagon wheels some time after this. So, I believe that your stove, Ken, is on or after 1922. My Prentiss Wabers No. 4 is probably the latest No. 4 since it has the skate key, so possibly the last No. 4 model made before the 2 burner No. 4 came out. My other No. 4, Ken, is identical to yours. I would show pics of it, but it is completely torn down right now.

There might possibly be a single-burner No. 3, but I will have to doubt it since there isn't much, if any evidence of that. There seems to only be evidence of No. 3 double burners, but I could be wrong.

Sam