Prentiss-Wabers wagon wheel. Model? Date?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by NW Lady, Oct 26, 2018.

1. NW Lady

This is my new to me PW 2 burner wagon wheel. Didn't really need a another stove to wait in line to be fettled but just couldn't pass this sweetie up.

I have soooo many questions …. will just start with a few...

Any idea of the manufacture year or model? It says Prentiss-Wabers Stove company manufacturers. Wisconsin rapids. it has a round tank, 6" grate. wagon wheels. It is approx. 16.5" x 10.5".

Wondering about the pump. It has bumps...but they are not threads that would seem to take a hose that is pressure pressed on? The pump nipple on the tank has very, very tiny threads inside. The tip on the pump does not seat well enough to pump air into the tank. ...but... I can pump air in with a pump I have that has a smooth, rounded end. Guessing I need a tube and a little threaded tip at the end?? if yes, that these parts be found currently at hardware stores?? I have been looking at pics and I have seen pics of pumps with tubes.

Wondering about lighting procedure. Looks like it has a wide flat preheat cup under each burner. There seems to be a hole from the manifold that dumps into the cup?? ...but what controls letting in the fuel and then stopping it?? There is no generator like an old Coleman for a "hot blast".

2. NW Lady

DSC_7741.JPG

DSC_7740.JPG

DSC_7764.JPG

pump nipple.JPG

sorry... trouble loading pics

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

NW Lady, I get an error message when I try to see your pics. ??? Brad

4. BradB

Ah, there they are.

5. BradB

I have a model 8. It looks like you are missing the rounded end of the pump that fits in the receiving cap.

6. NW Lady

Pic of the preheat cup...if that is what it is. You can kinda see the hole into the manifold. The rod on the right is the wagon wheel rod.

DSC_7751.JPG

7. NW Lady

Thank you, Brad... so does the rounded end fit on the end in the pic? I can see little tiny thread in the nipple on the tank. Do you know if yours has tiny threads or is just smooth to accept the rounded end?

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You need a pump that has a rounded tip to fit the cap, making a tighter seal. Can see if I can get a pic. A Coleman pump will work too.
    Duane

20181025_194543_opt.jpg

9. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Wonderful stove, looks like it's got a lot of memories in it. Looking forward to flame shots.

10. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

11. NW Lady

Thank you, Duane. I do have a round tip one. ..and it does pump up the stove. I wonder why that pump came with the stove? original but missing parts? Wonder why the little nipple receive on the stove has threads?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  12. NW Lady

I am pretty excited to have this beauty! ..but... not sure of lighting procedure. when I pump it up and open the wagon wheels, i can barely hear any air. With my colemans, I hear LOTS of air. Seems strange that it doesn't have a generator?? or I don't know it when I am looking at it?
    Wondering if the preheating is more like my Svea 105 than colemans with an obvious generator.
    Wondering if the is some blockage in the little fuel line? and that's why I can't hear much air?? Seems like that is only place there could be a blockage as the tank is big and the fuel line seems to feed directly into the BIG manifold.
    I am guessing there is graphite packing somewhere.... anyone know where?

This stove is going to be a BIG learning adventure!

13. NW Lady

I know, Marc... I often think about the stories these old stove could tell! ...and I an just part of their story.

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Looks like the generator would be part of the burner, with the burner bell transferring heat into the fuel passage and then onward to a control valve and jet. Another version of a regulated silent burner.

I imagine it takes some preheating, that's quite a lump of cast iron to heat.

15. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

May need to experiment with how many strokes it takes to get the tank pressurized enough, plus make sure a good connection between the cap and pump tip. I only open up the top part of the cap maybe a turn so you don't loose air out of the space between the parts. Some pumps may not make enough pressure, I hold a finger over the pump tip and see if I can push the handle in to check effectiveness of pump cup.
    Duane

16. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I'm thinking that at one time you had a hose on the end of that pump, that had a threaded end that went into that check valve. Lots of em are set up that way,

You can't hear air like a Coleman because.......there is no air!!! All it will push thru is fuel, so yes, you need to preheat. With CF it takes very little pre-heat to make things work.

17. NW Lady

Thank you.... everyone. I think I am starting to understand the stove. I am replacing the packing as both packing nuts were leaking.

18. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Some information about your Model 2 Auto KampKook Kit on Terry Marsh's site, here.

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

The pump does use a hose, and the hose screws into the filler cap.
    You can also use a pump with a rounded tip.

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, @NW Lady ,

Excellent find!!! I've long wanted one of these, but so far, it's not come to hand. But, I'm very happy that YOU found one, and that you're working on getting it back into tip-top shape, for use!! Very well done, and HUZZAH to you for your blessing and luck in finding that one!! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who now needs to wipe bit of drool off his keyboard!!)