Prentiss Weber (Preway) M1942

Discussion in 'Military' started by DaveP228, Mar 14, 2014.

1. DaveP228

Just picked this up today from my brother, M1942 PW, dated 1-1945. It was in a 1966 mess kit instead of the normal container so it rolled around in it and wore the decal. Luckily it did not wear it out but I would like to replace it. Other than that the stove looks nice, the leather in the plunger might need replacing but more like oiling, it looked good and the O rings I could see. I will break it down and see how all the other seals look, clean it up good then give her a try.
    Now I need to find a container which might be difficult. Best part was the price, FREE!
    1394765232-CIMG_1037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. vmfa314

Replace the pump tube seal and the NRV pip that is located at the bottom of the pump tube and you will be good to go. They are great little stoves that will put out a lot of heat but have almost no simmer capabilities.
    Mack
    Here is one of mine being used in the field to cook homemade corned beef hash at a reenacment.

1394803106-IMG_0592-1_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. DaveP228

Thanks Mack, I lubed the leather this morning then checked to see if it would pressurize. It held pressure and blew the air out good. I'll need to replace the seals like you said but I think it will run. I might give it a try later on when it warms up outside. Man it is cold here this morning, not normal for March in old Virginny, 19F at 6am! I'll post a pic if it runs, something tells me it will.
    What kind of reenactment? I did Civil War for years, it's been a while since I did but some great memories and travels. Thanks again.

4. vmfa314

WW2 reenactment, I also used it to heat up water in a helmet for bathing and shaving. The problem is once you put fuel in the NRV pip if its hard will not seal and you will get fuel coming back up the pump tube. You may not see this at first. But as the fount gets warmer it begins to self pressurize and the next thing you know you have flames coming out the sides of the pump cap. Dont ask me how I know this lol. Replace the pip for the dollar they cost its not worth going where the hell is the fire extinguisher.
    Mack

5. itchy

These are interesting and fun little stoves.

If the mess kit is the so-called "US Mountain Mess Kit", it may well be a "correct" container for this stove. The pots are a bit large and clunky by todays standards but they are sturdy and capable of real use in snow melting or meal preparation compared to the canisters containers.

6. DaveP228

I always wanted to get into WWII reenacting but spending years in Civil War and my work changing to me traveling more, I never found the time. Sadly today I'm too old and beat up for it, no way could I do it, maybe as a doctor or war correspondent, but not a soldier. I know a few fellows in CW that once they got to old to do the miles changed their impression to just that. I'm not sure I could, having come up through the ranks then commanding for 2-3 years, it would be hard fighting with a pen! ;)

7. DaveP228

Yes Itchy, I've found out more on the stove and you are correct. It should have three pans with it, a frying pan and two pots. The smaller pot fit the stove tighter so it didn't rattle around. Mine only has two, the frying pan or top and the large pot. I've got a line on a kit so I can get the small pan.

The stove ran like a top, I re-greased the leather, pumped it up and bam, it took off. I've got some pics but during the day you can't see the flame, all blue! I also put a tea pot on it a little more than half full an it boiled in 5 minutes or less. Wonderful little stove!
    I'll light it tonight and get some pics of it running.

8. vmfa314

Dave,
    I am 43 and still going strong as far the reenacting goes. I also do CW but on an artillery crew and we do mostly live fire now with the N-SSA. As Far as WW2 goes it also depends on what unit you join there are those that are more hardcore as far as how they camp and such. The unit I belong to is more in the middle we strive for authenticity in dress and equipment but we are not gearing up and doing 25 mile humps.
    Mack

9. Wim

Wim Subscriber

What do you think is too old Dave? The oldest person in our group is in his late sixties, he knows what he can do and what not so adjusts to it. Your humble servant is hoping to have his 57th birthday this year. Of course, as we re-enact the Great War people "expect" us to be a bit older... ;) :lol: . But then, the oldest volunteer I know in the Belgian army was 65 when he signed up in august 1914! He insisted to serve in the trenches, and even took part in many night raids to the German trenches. So, never say you're to old! O:)

Best regards,

Wim

www.everyoneweb.be/fortliezele9delinie
    www.fortliezele.be

10. DaveP228

I guess it's really all in how you feel and knowing how far you can go for the age question. I know folks like you said, late 60's that can surely out do me. I'm 55 but with a body of someone 80, not over weight but just beat up. I ran dirt bikes in the 70's to early 80's, then did reenactments until the mid to late 90's. The hell I put my body through finally caught up with me but there are no regrets, I've had a great life and hope for more years to come. I just can't do what I used to and for the most part know how far I can go.

My reenactment group was semi hardcore, we had guys that would attend tactical events where we left on Friday and didn't come back until Sunday. Then others who would rarely fight unless it was a close scenario with no marching. I fell in the first group most of the times. As I got older my back would not heal up as quickly but I never wanted to think I would need surgery and definitely not multiple ones. In mid 2000 I started losing feeling in my right arm and hand which lead to the first surgery then a second one a year later which also caused more issues in my lower back.

Today I'm fine as long as I follow the doc's advice and no longer push it like I once did. No, it's not always fun but it's the cards I've been dealt and I'm playing this hand. The other thing would be to fold and die but life is still too much fun and I don't like losing or I should say giving up. 8)