PreWay 4521 A

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by CampstoveNewbe, Oct 30, 2020.

1. CampstoveNewbe United States

IMG_2260.JPG

This 4521A had been sitting unused in my parents garage for decades. When my Mother passed in 2012 I took it home and until now it had been sitt ing in my garage unused.

It holds pressure and burns but not for long so I assume a rebuild is in order. I am familiar with Coleman lanterns but not Coleman or Preway cookstoves.

Any advice on how or where to start would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter M

2. RGlll United States

Peter,
    I have two of these, one burns fine the other will not allow me to pump up the fuel tank. I haven't had any experience with these so hopefully we'll both get someone to answer us that is familiar. I'm glad you mentioned thestove not doing well after awhile.I haven't let mine burn to long so I might behaving the same problem.

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi guys, I'm not familiar with these, but a very common problem is hardened seals. Hardened seals don't seal anymore so they cause pressure loss in the fount. I'd start with replacing any seals with new ones (preferably made from Viton) and see what's happening.

Hope this helps,

Wim

4. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

As Wim says, start by replacing the fuel cap seal and the pip in the non-return valve (NRV) on the bottom of the pump. If you're not sure post some pics of the pump out and we'll tell you from there. Try Old Coleman Parts (OCP). You may need to use the message feature on the OCP web site if the seals aren't listed . Just tell Mike what you need.

The lighting procedure is as follows. Close both valves and pump the tank about 35 times. Open the left valve 1 full turn, open the right valve about 1/4 turn and light. After 1-2 minutes close left valve. If you leave the left valve open you will quickly lose pressure and the stove will go out. I suspect that's what's happening now.

Check this thread.
    Preway 4521

The 4521 aka The Wedge is a great stove. Superior to the Coleman 425 IMHO.

5. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Preway 4521A+1 on cottage hill bill. On mine the pip in the nrv was the same size as an Optimus typical nrv pip. I had to stretch the spring just a bit to get it to seal. Oil the pump leather too. Replace the nrv pip, cap seal, and Hopefully it will run. Be careful to close the secondary burner before lighting or it might surprise you by the flame jumping to the secondary burner. Brad

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Great stove.

Still haven't fettled the NRV on mine.....

7. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

Rather than just change everything I am fond of finding the problem. A spray bottle of soapy water works wonders for finding pressure leak like at the fill. The NRV's leak, this also can be found by pissing around th pump shaft where it goes into tube. Not much else goes wrong.

If yoiu have one functioning you could pull pump out of that one and use on the other and see if things improve.

You should open the main valve much more than 1/4 turn to light.

And yes,as @BradB noted, that bothersome secondary burner lever is easy to bump when setting up and can be quite a shock when you light stove :)