Preway?? Vintage campstove

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by Carmen Lowry, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Carmen Lowry United States

We found this stove but not sure what we got. We have been told Military, Coleman, AGC, and Preway. The only writing we can find is "Off" by a valve and 1886 on the tank.

Is this rescueable?

20190413_142420.jpg Can anyone identify it?

20190413_142445.jpg 20190413_142407.jpg 20190413_142349.jpg 20190413_142420.jpg

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I can't identify it but it looks like it's all there. I'm sure it could be brought back to life with a little cleaning, grease, and a few new gaskets. These stoves are not that complicated and tend to be pretty robust. That would have a great flame pattern. Do you have the grates that go over the burners?

Ben

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @Carmen Lowry ,

Welcome to CCS!! Almost any old stove "can" be saved and used, IF you do your homework, and are willing to spend a ton of time seeking any missing parts in which you stand in need. Please look at this link, which takes you to a 1937 PW catalog, and scroll down to see a stove similar to yours.

https://classiccampstoves.com/attac...wabers-products-co-catalogue-pt-1-pdf.167545/

Also, look here:

1937 Preway Model 367-P Cabin Range.

If you spend time here in the Reference Gallery, you may see other stoves like yours, too. I also have an old AGM (American Gas Machine) stove that reminds me of yours. Look here to see it:

American Gas Machine, Model 713, cabin range.

And, now, one that looks almost exactly like yours:

My First AGM -identify...help

And, another one:

American Gas Machine, KitchenKook model 822.

After looking at these threads, again, I am now thinking that your stove was not made by PW, and is much more likely, an American Gas Machine Product!!

Neat!! Thanks for sharing it, and good luck in bringing it back to life!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Carmen Lowry United States

5. Carmen Lowry United States

No grates and there is what looks like a pressure valve on the tank that is broken.

20190413_142349.jpg

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Carmen Lowry ,

Those dials are broken on many stoves of that age. Much of the time, that can be fixed, and there is info here at CCS on how to do that. I am wondering about what looks to be a threaded rod, sticking out of the front of the gas tank. Does it move back and forth, or in and out, or can it be turned like a shut-off of some kind? Curious about what that is. I would have said it's your pump, minus it's handle, but you aready have a brass pump, which can be seen in your photos.

Later this year, we will be passing through NM for work, but I think we'll be too far North of you to stop and visit, and see your stove in person. I don't know any CCS Guys or Gals that live near you, either. Ever get up to Albuquerque? Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

7. Carmen Lowry United States

We decided a want to rehome it. Would you like first dibs? I realize it is worth more than a lantern, but we are willing to get a cool lantern (preferably in a case) and give it to someone who will fix it. If you are interested, I JUST posted it on the antique coleman page. I will take it down.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @Carmen Lowry ,

I would be most interested in a trade with you. Let us talk this to a PM, and we can discuss it further!! Thanks for offering it to me, and talk soon. Take care. and God Bless!

Doc

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@Carmen Lowry
    I will add that Doc is a gentleman and I believe his word when he says it.
    Good on you, Doc.

10. Carmen Lowry United States

Thank you. We have made contact already. Just want it to go to a good home. I don't want to make a profit on It; It needs a lot of work and hopefully he can get it working again! That is all that matters to us! It's like my cast iron pans we rescue, put them back to work where they should be!

11. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Great stove, lots of potential.

+1 to what Ken says, Doc's a good guy who can be trusted.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@snwcmpr, @Marc,

Thanks, Guys, for the kind words, and good recommendation!! Much appreciated, my friends!! Carmen and I are already in contact, working out the nuts and bolts of a trade, and the logistics therein. I'll keep you posted as to how all this turns out. It's interesting that we used to have a CCS member in El Paso,, TX, which is not far from Carmen and her husband. He always complained that there were NO stoves in that area! As you can see, Carmen and her Hubby have proved him wrong!! "The more you look (hunt), the more you will find", sez Ol' Doc!!! ;) :lol: :thumbup: Thanks, again, Guys, and thanks to @Carmen Lowry for trading with me!! I look forward to possibly meeting her, and her Husband, one of these days!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. wtspe United States

Glad to see that will be going to a good home. I'd say it's an AGM. Those are the same burners that are on my AGM 1704--the next stove in my restoration queue.