Pricking the jet at a snails' pace

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Dutchmike, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Dutchmike

I have been working off and on an Enders 9070 stove that has been sitting for perhaps decades and was all seized up. With only one (other) example in the Gallery and the owner / submitter not responding, it is basicly uncharted territory taking the mechanism slowly apart.
    Slowly as in soaking, gently trying to get things moving, then soaking again. The stove is not ready yet, but the mechanism of spindle, pricker and generator is taken apart, clean and contains some fascinating details I want to share here.

DSCN4882.JPG

The pattern is a familiar Enders design of tank, fuel line perpendicular to the tank with a control unit cum burner at the end.

DSCN4887.JPG

The difference is in the detail, with a stubby, solid generator body that supports the burner bell above and is screwed into the control body underneath it. From inside, a solid brass rod with a pricker needle attached and shaped as a rack can be freed if the massive jet is unscrewed. The needle 'rod' is guided by a steel tube set central in the steel mesh of the vapouriser.

DSCN4891.JPG

DSCN4890.JPG

Taking the control body apart, a complex assembly appears

DSCN4883.JPG

DSCN4886.JPG

that contains a remarkable detail: a snail cam.

DSCN4888.JPG

This cam engages the rack on the needle carrier, so by turning the control knob of the burner, this rod is moved up or down, hence the title. Flame regulation and shut-off is up to the lower profile of the needle carrier, which is pushed upwards to free an opening within the generator, and is pulled down to close this off.

All these parts are beautifully made, that fit without play using fine threads one does not expect on a stove.
    Rather, it is like an instrument maker's product that must have cost a lot to produce, as it seems overcomplicated as well. Therein lies the possible explanation why this model stove is so rare, as the retail price must have been (too) high. Not rebuild to fire her up yet, it is questionable however how shutting off will work, as it alos depends on how tight the snail engages on the rack. In comparisson, a spindle with a pointed end to close off an orifice as found in most regulated burners is of supreme simplicity and efficiency.

Enders did provide excellent alternatives that were simpler to make, and evidently did sell in quantity. like the 100 series that also offered a choice between roarer and silent mode for the burner, yet posess that same solid german engineering Enders is rightfully known for.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I share your opinion Mike. My 9061D laid bare …

7AB7D40A-908E-4CC2-BBDB-822334A08B6E.jpeg

The 9061D doesn’t have that characteristic of your 9070 of rarity however.

John

3. Dutchmike

@prescall

John, I forgot about those fold-out stoves while thinking of the (also) combination burner Enders 100. You present a scary picture of all those minute parts to lose! Yes, simplicity was not high on the list, but refinement and high quality certainly was, and this is being appreciated more and more with Enders stoves having a definite following in the collector's world.

But one small correction here: the 9070 is not mine but is owned by a friend, who completely forgot about it untill she moved. Here goes:
    Years ago I got a call by this friend who knew I was into classic stoves. Calling from a recycling shop she asked if the stove she found there would be interesting to buy. She mentioned the brand, also the type number, but the latter did not mean anything to me, and I had the more common stove in mind based on statistics. Upon asking the price on it I said to buy it, as imo she stood to make some money for groceries etc. with it.
    Time passed, this Enders stove forgotten and not mentioned anymore. Till my friend moved two years ago and this stove appeared in view once more.

The huge box in the same pattern and colours so many Enders stoves are presented with contained this very unfamiliar
    appliance, that made me search for information here on CCS and the internet at large. I re-discovered Motoshi's presentation of the stove, but unfortunately he did not respond on my questions about a possible use by him.
    He appearantly has been off this forum for quite a while now.

I am working on the stove on and off, and it will be auctioned in the near future. I have lost my apetite in collecting more stoves quite a while ago, and in fact have my private collection reduced to eight. This does not exclude an interest in the technology of things, so that part of collecting still fascinates me for a long time to come. And thanks to this forum I can do so with many contributions from all over the world.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Dutchmike
    I'm sure this post will be a useful future reference for others :thumbup:

6. Dutchmike

@ROBBO55 Thank you for the accolade, but I think any practical value is limited to perhaps a handful of owners. I have recently seen a box for this stove - with another model Enders stove in it - but their number in circulation must be extremely low. I believe this model was simply too expensive for (still) war-torn Europe. But come to think of it, with reference to the clear picture by Presscall above, Enders products were never cheap. Indeed, most Enders stoves available here in Holland are those from the miltary.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021