Priming the Optimus 111 / Hiker+

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Gavin Mulholland, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Gavin Mulholland

One thing I really like about the Optimus Hiker+ is that you don't need a separate priming fuel to get it going - just pressurise the tank, open and close the spindle to leak a little paraffin into the pan, and light.

Two questions:

1. Does this work with paraffin because of the gauze wick in the priming pan of the Hiker+?

2. And if so... could you add such a gauze to a 111 and prime with paraffin?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Gavin, @Gavin Mulholland , I have no experience with priming stoves with paraffin (except the ones with build-in torch), but from what I've learned from other people's experience a wick does help but it is still a sooty affair. In my humble opinion it is best to prime with spirits and only prime with paraffin in an emergency. Consider it a back-up thing. BTW, having a wick also helps when using spirits or panel wipe/white gas/whathaveyou as a priming fluid.

Best regards,

Wim

3. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

As said, priming with kerosene needs a wick and it will soot as gasoline also will.
    I always prime everything with spirit.
    For me that is one of the fun things with pressure stoves.

Michael

4. itchy

Gavin,

The answer to both of your questions is yes.

In addition to the soot issue, another potential problem occurs if the wick material gets wet (water wet). If that happens, alcohol still works but primining with kerosene probably will not. In that case one could use a little kerosene soaked tissue, but that is even more messy.

5. Gavin Mulholland

Thanks guys

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I think of priming with kerosene and a wick as something I need to know, but don't use it regularly.

7. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Priming with kerosene is an old trick but best not done if you do not like soot. It gives it off to stick to the burners and if you are cooking in a tent doorway it gets on the fabric of the tent.

It does need a wick which can simply be broken matchsticks or paper sticking out of the surface of the kerosene. Light that and the kerosene will soon get hot enough for the fumes given off to burn freely.

It was a trick used when we ran out of spirits but was still better as a reserve, not as a routine

Regards Bryan