Primus '0' 1894-5

Discussion in 'Primus No:0' started by igh371, Jul 19, 2016.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC04391.JPG

At first sight looks like a standard late-period pre-1896 Primus No.1 - but look closer and this one is smaller all round and is marked as model '0'. This must be the first incarnation of the model '0', just before the big change in 1896 when the internal NRV was introduced by Hjorth/Primus.

The NRV assembly is identical to that fitted to the pre-1896 No.1s except that it is fitted to the end of a significantly smaller diameter pump tube:
    DSC04385.JPG DSC04386.JPG DSC04388.JPG DSC04387.JPG

The pump assembly itself is a similarly reduced size version of the No.1 pump of the same vintage, even down to the peg-spanner requirement for pump cup carrier servicing:
    DSC04402.JPG DSC04405.JPG

The rest of the design follows the same pattern in relation to the original No.1 design:
    DSC04389.JPG DSC04390.JPG DSC04392.JPG DSC04393.JPG DSC04395.JPG DSC04396.JPG DSC04397.JPG

Difficult to say whether the burner could be original or not, it is unmarked:
    DSC04394.JPG

And clearly hadn't been fired for many years:
    DSC04398.JPG

Better:
    DSC04403.JPG

Better again:
    DSC04406.JPG

And finally time for a tea break:
    DSC04407.JPG

This all makes it look so easy. Missing from the description or the photos is any reference to the on-going pain of trying to settle in a new NRV cork block seal - now on attempt no. 3 ... Just don't mention this at an inopportune moment, not for a while anyway ...

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Yet another interesting account of ancient Primus history. :thumbup:

Now, about that cork seal...

Cheers

Tony

3. igh371

Good one @Tony Press :lol:
    But glad to report now that the new NRV cork, and burner washer, are both settling in ... at last[​IMG] and the flame continues to clear too:
    DSC04420.JPG
    Looks like will still be left stuck with a minor weep at the pump boss fitting, but at over 120 years old I guess you have to give it a bit of slack - cosmetically at least fixing that would probably do more harm than good; and its hardly going to be a daily user.
    Seems to be the case that this is so far the one and only example of a model-numbered pre-1896 Primus to have surfaced that is other than a No.1. It is logical to assume that they would not have started putting 'No.1' on that model, almost certainly in 1894 by the way, unless they had started to produce other models with other numbers. But so far this is the only 'other' number example to have been identified. What more is out there just waiting to be discovered?:shock:
    Ian.

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Very interesting, Ian.
    Which came first, the '0' or the '1', or did they both happen at the same time?

In the past (can't remember what) I have numbered items starting at 1 and then ascending.
    But then I have realised that there is an item that should have been before number 1, so I have labelled it '0'.
    Later I have realised that there is an item that should have been numbered first, so I have labelled it '00'.
    Just a thought . . . . .

5. igh371

And now set up with an appropriate size and style cast iron trivet:
    DSC04514.JPG

DSC04513.JPG

6. igh371

This is the only piece of corroborating documentary evidence that I have been able to find regarding the availability of the Primus '0' at this very early date. It is an advert taken out in early March 1896 by the Australian distributors Chambers & Seymour. The advert refers to the arrival of a shipment of new stock from Sweden and lists, for the first time, the 'Primus No.0'. Given the shipping time alone this immediately puts the actual date of manufacture back into late 1895 as hypothesised above.

1896 13 Mar. Melbourne 'Argus' Australia.jpg
    from the Melbourne 'Argus', 13th March 1896.