Primus #1/#5 heat shield

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Garth, May 22, 2018.

1. Garth

I've been playing around woth a primus#5 and a prestige wonder oven and the pair go well together but for a worryingly hot primus fuel tank after extended use.
    I saw somewhere in the forums one sporting a heat shield on the riser if I can find measurements or even a pic of this shield I'll attempt to construct one
    Running without a shield did have one unexpected benefit my burner is working the best it ever has after spitting out carbon and soot from inside, guess it never had a workout lile that before.
    After a half hour of green flame and many splutters ive not had to stand over it with pricker in hand to keep it running it just works now.

2. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

3. Garth

Yes that's the thing thanks I may be able to get a piece of sheet aluminium to make that if I clean it up it should reflect heat away from the tank and maybe even the bench too as a lot of heat is reflected down from the oven very similar oven to this one.

ovenette.jpg

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I have just taken some measurements and a couple of photos to help others who may wish to construct a heat shield for classic 3-legged pressure stoves. The measurements are based on my Primus No.1682 Heat-Shield:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-heat-shield.9950/

P1090941.jpg

P1090942.jpg

P1090943.jpg

The shallow circular depression seen around the centre hole has a diameter of approx. 80mm. This rim helps locate and support the heat shield on the spirit-cup of the stove.

The slot running into the centre hole is approx. 25mm wide.

It occured to me that the quickest way to improvise a sturdy heat shield would be to start with the lid from a paint tin, or similar. The folded rim would impart rigidity to the structure, particularly if you also add the folded edge feature to the cut-aways used to clear the pan legs when inserting the shield.

The shallow circular depression may be hard for an amateur to achieve. However three strategically spaced pop-rivets would be an easy substitute.

Good luck if you attemp to make one, and don't forget to post some photos.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. optipri

optipri Subscriber

Here is a reproduction made by a friend of mine.

Bo

DSC_0015_70.JPG

DSC_0016_46.JPG

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @optipri neat work by your friend.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.