Primus 1 advice please

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Unclebumble, May 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM.

1. Unclebumble United States

Hello guys, I am new to this hobby. I have bought a Primus No 1 on Ebay as a challenge to recondition. I have not received it yet, but I do have a question. On many of these stoves, the burner seems to screw right out. Looking at the pictures of this one and the one I have purchased, it looks like it might be soldered in place. Can someone tell me( show me) which it is?? Thanks

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.
    The riser tube is permanently affixed, but the burner itself can be removed; you will notice the nut immediately above and adjacent to the spirit (priming) cup.

3. Unclebumble United States

I am glad to be a part of what you guys are doing here. I'm not sure how much I can be involved, but I hope I can add something to the group as I learn. Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that was the answer. I already have to figure out how to solder legs on this thing as it did not have any legs on it. Any hints would be great. I can sweat solder plumbing, so I am thinking it will be similar to that. I may need some "map" gas though...?

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

There are great volumes of information in threads here about soldering and stoves, and certainly about soldering the legs. Do some searches on same and you will find a wealth of information.

5. Unclebumble United States

I will certainly do that. Thanks, Ed.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

7. Unclebumble United States

Thank You, Kerophile. Good reading! I'll probably ponder that some more before I give it a go.